Why do the network extenders stop working?
bcrd5000

I am currently using my third Verizon Network Extender and it has developed the same problem of the first two units. The System and GPS lights suddenly begin blinking red for no reason. Already have the GPS extension cable taped to outside window and have re-set/re-started numerous times but the lights continue to blink red.

My step-daughter has an AT&T network extender that does not use the GPS cable and it never causes a problem so apparently there is something wrong with the Verizon Network Extender.

My question is what is the problem with the unit since all of them end up with the same typed of failure? Verizon can not explain what happens and after spending an hour or so with tech support, they send a new unit.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why do the network extenders stop working?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

3 Network Extenders and they are all breaking?  I would assume there is more of a problem outside of the NE.  For example your ISP connection or the home router that you are using.  Something isn't allowing the NE to perform its job and the NE is not equipped to handle whatever is going on in your environment.

Start with the simple stuff.  Try to plug your NE directly into your modem without the router.  If that doesn't help then try swapping your router with another.  If you are using a rented cable modem from your ISP then consider returning it and purchasing your own modem from the list of supported modems on your ISPs support website.

What your step-daughter is doing is unrelated.  Different network, different device, different environment.  Nothing can be taken from that scenario and applied to your own.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Is everything correctly set up with your router to allow this extender?  I know most of the modern routers don't usually need certain ports to be configured to allow traffic to and from the extender, but I have known of older and even some particular model routers to need port forwarding set up.  Even if the router was set up correctly, I suppose it's possible for changes to happen along the way that would cause a working extender to stop working.  The system light is blinking because of a communications error, the GPS I'm not sure why unless it is connected to the system light, because if the system hasn't gotten a lock on location or the system isn't communicating then both may be dependent on the other.  What router are you using?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

3 Network Extenders and they are all breaking?  I would assume there is more of a problem outside of the NE.  For example your ISP connection or the home router that you are using.  Something isn't allowing the NE to perform its job and the NE is not equipped to handle whatever is going on in your environment.

Start with the simple stuff.  Try to plug your NE directly into your modem without the router.  If that doesn't help then try swapping your router with another.  If you are using a rented cable modem from your ISP then consider returning it and purchasing your own modem from the list of supported modems on your ISPs support website.

What your step-daughter is doing is unrelated.  Different network, different device, different environment.  Nothing can be taken from that scenario and applied to your own.

0 Likes