Why the difference in plans between USB modems/hotspots and tablets?
bigokietechie

I have a USB760 3G USB Modem that I want to activate on Friday when I get paid.  I went to the Mobile broadband plans webpage and looked at the pre-paid plans that are available.

However, they price data access differently for USB modems/hotspots than they do tablets. 

For a USB modem, I can get only 1GB for $50.  But with a tablet, I'd get 2GB for $30.

Why the difference?  Can anyone explain this to me?

I would appreciate some info.  I called the phone center, and they were no help and knew nothing.  I thought maybe someone at Verizon would read this and actually be able to give me a sensible explanation of why data plans for a USB modem are so much more than for a tablet...especially when my USB modem is 3G and won't have as much bandwidth impact as a newer model.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Why the difference in plans between USB modems/hotspots and tablets?
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Probably because you were reading the information incorrectly.  Per the table below, you get 5GB for $50 for the USB Modem.  You just don't have the option of the 2GB plan with the modem as (and this is my guess) most users use more than 2GB per month with those devices.

Hope this helps.

Mobile Broadband Plans

How much data do you need? That depends on you. The more data you have,
the more you can do like surf, game, and more.

Calculate Data Usage  

2GB – $30/Month5GB – $50/Month10GB – $80/Month
Tablet/Netbook

X

X 

X 

USB Modem/Notebook/
Dedicated Mobile
Hotspot/Verizon Jetpack™

X

X 

0 Likes
bigokietechie

If you look below that, you will see the "prepaid mobile broadband" pricing.

I don't have a contract.   I bought my USB760 refurbished.  I don't want to enter a  contract either. 

Plus, I don't want to spend $50 a month.  I will only use the USB modem if the cable internet goes down at my house, or I am traveling and a hotel doesn't have free internet with the room.

But it still leaves me to wonder:  why is data on a USB modem so much more than on a tablet via prepaid?

I appreciate your reply though.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

My mistake, I missed the pre-paid part in your original post.  Yes that does seem to be a large disparity for what is, in effect the same data.

Good luck in finding an answer.

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

bigokietechie wrote:

For a USB modem, I can get only 1GB for $50.  But with a tablet, I'd get 2GB for $30.

Because they can.

I have a 3GB MiFi 2200 for $35, but that plan is no longer available, and I use less than 200 MB per month.

There are European carriers that offer "family plans" for data, just like we have for minutes, but in the US, data is per device, hurting the typical multi-device user, with plans much larger than needed, no rollover, no sharing, and different prices for the same number of bytes on different devices.

I noticed one of the carriers charges $30 for tablets, but iPad is $15.

http://www.datajack.com offers 200MB for $9.99, if that fits your needs.  I don't know if they can activate a device that you didn't buy from them.  They seel the MiFi 2200, and I might be checking with them when my MiFi contract expires.

0 Likes
Not applicable

@ bigokietechie

Thank you for your inquiry. I would love to give you some insight on the prepaid data plans. The best way to describe the price difference between prepaid data plans is when you buy a tablet at a subsidized price you get a cheaper data plane. When you buy USB stick the subsidy is not as substantial because the device is not a high cost piece of equipment (versus a tablet). 

Additionally, we try to create incentive for people to get lower prices by signing into contract. The kind of benefits and service you get being a contract customer versus a prepaid are a high enough value to create the tiered price plans we offer. Ultimately, we have many different pricing options for customers. I hope this helped. Thank you.

0 Likes
dnsj1s

Warning!  Verizon will change your data plan for downloaded data without telling you and without your permission.  If you select the data plan described above...5Gb for $50...you will change your basic plan also...it would increase my basic service by $20 AND would add to the price of my data plan.  Verizon changed my plan without my knowledge or permission from 5Gb to 2Gb and then started stinging me for overages every month.  Repreated requests to restore my plan to the original deal were ignored.  Stick with your cable provider...their contract with you probably means something. Verizon's does not.

0 Likes