Wi-fi connection instructions?
linhelen

Basic question...Just got a netbook and know how to connect to internet through my Verizon Access plan. I have no experience connecting to the net via a local wi-fi network. Can you tell me how this works? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Wi-fi connection instructions?
FiOS_PC_guy

Not quite sure what you're trying to do...

Assuming that you have Verizon Internet service at home, you have two choices for your netbook.

If you are talking about connecting to the semi-public hotspots, you should visit this site:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=wifiaccess

If you have a compatible Verizon data service, access is free.

You will have to download some software - hopefully it will be compatible with your netbook.

If you want to connect the netbook to your home Verizon router, check the sticker on your router.

It should show you your personal SSID and WEP key.

Have your netbook scan for available wireless networks and select the SSID.

Then, type in the WEP key which will be 12 hexadecimal digits (0 through 9 and A through F)

If you do not have Verizon Internet service at home, the Verizon Wireless Access Manager software that should have come with your netbook should handle everything for you.

You can also download that software from here:

http://vzam.net/

0 Likes
linhelen

I am not sure how to connect to a site that has free Wi-Fi, what steps are required. (I know how to connect through the Verizon Access Manager using my paid-for minutes.) I will be staying at a place with free Wi-Fi and I would like to know how to take advantage of it with my netbook use.

0 Likes
FiOS_PC_guy

See if this helps:

http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=29103

You need v7 of Access Manager which is supposed to allow you to connect to the Verizon hot spots as well as any other WiFi access point.

I have not tried it myself, however.

0 Likes
linhelen

Thanks. I will have to try and see if it works.

0 Likes
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

Hi.  I understand your concern regarding the wifi in your earlier post.  I just want to be sure you were able to connect your netbook via Wifi with the steps given. 

If not, I will be happy to help you further.   Please let me know if it worked for you.

Thanks!

0 Likes
linhelen

Haven't tried yet but from what I understand...when I am in the range of a Wi-fi site, that site will come up and I click on that as I would click on the Verizon Access area in order to sign on.

0 Likes
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

Yes :smileywink:    Thank you for replying.  You are absolutely correct!  When you are in range of Wifi, it will show up for you to connect. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

0 Likes