Wireless Express Card - Blackberry - Smart Phone
Kilchis

I have used a wireless express card with my laptop for the last year and a half, but never been very impressed with the speed for the price.  I've decided to switch to a Smart Phone or Blackberry device when my plan changes out in October.  However, now I'm reading about LTE and wonder if I should lock myself into a two year plan.

Thanks for your opinions.

"The number of LTE subscriptions worldwide will grow at a CAGR of more than 400 per cent from 2010 to 2014, a pace faster than any previous mobile standard including 3G, according to a new report from Pyramid Research."

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Express Card - Blackberry - Smart Phone
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
I cannot tell if you are leading into using the BlackBerry as a tethered data device, you can and it works well (once you get it up and running).

As for LTE, don't expect widespread availability for another four to six years. They usual 20 - 30 "Major" markets will be launching LTE in late 2010, followed by a steady buildout across the rest of the network. There are many variables that can push this date back, In my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles are the telephone companies providing fiber optic bandwidth to the cell sites. Today, telcos provide multiple T1 spans (1.544Mbps) to each site; there's no way that will support LTE.
0 Likes
Kilchis
So much for LTE then.  Though the wireless express card has come in handy - I picked it up while my Dad was passing; with it, I could manage my accounts (I'm in sales - radio).  But now, it seems a SmartPhone or Blackberry makes more sense money-wise.  If I'm reading everything correctly, it costs about $25 a month instead of the $60+ I've been spending.
0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1

Kilchis wrote:
If I'm reading everything correctly, it costs about $25 a month instead of the $60+ I've been spending.

Correct, for data for consumption on the device only. Extra cost to tether.
0 Likes