My wireless extender started malfunctioning a couple months ago. I would lose my signal completely(i.e., searching for network) and then it would come back up. All lights have remained blue, but I cannot connect to the extender. I have to unplug it now to get any signal at all in my house, although only 1-2 bars. This line is on a business account and the company I work for is a large account for Verizon. I called them about 2 months ago and reported the issue. During the next couple weeks, I received a text message to restart it. I received another one that they were trying to ping my unit. So it appears they were working on it. A month passed with no update and still not working. I called last week and was told that the ticket was still open, so they were still working on it. I asked if it could be a hardware issue and was told that if they thought that was the problem, they would have sent me another by now. I advised that I work from home and this was very inconvenient not having a reliable signal in my house.
Well, I called again yesterday and the first line person started asking me all the questions about color of lights, near window, etc. I explained that none of this was going to help and that the network team was supposedly working on it. She transferred me finally and talked to a gentleman that had a hard time even finding the service order- even though I gave him the ticket number. He then advised that it is still open so they are sill working on it. I advised him that it had been 2 months and I found it hard to believe that after two months, they still had not found the problem. Again, I explained that I work from home an this is causing me significant issues doing my job. He really did not seem to care, I also explained that my company had a large account with them and that I would think they would put some priority on getting this resolved. About all he said he could do was note my issues and pass along to the network team.
Bottom line, is I have gotten no help getting this resolved and am about to get my provider switched to AT&T and let my company's telecom dept. know about this issue.
Those wireless extenders are pretty simple devices. Either the connection coming into them (your broadband/cable) is faulty or the device itself is going bad on you. Thats all there is to it.
I would search the NE for a reset button and try that out. Reset buttons are normally small and require a paper clip to push down. Once you find the reset button hold it down for 10-15 seconds until you notice the lights blinking. After that release the reset button and wait for it to reboot. Test your connection to the device and see if there is any improvement.
VZW should be more willing to swap your NE for a replacement. I wonder why they have not already. This makes me think they have detected a problem with your broadband connection and are trying to resolve it. Perhaps there is a conflict between your broadband provider and VZW where the cell phone traffic is not getting handed over correctly. Regardless, unless they are building a new tower or laying down infrastructure the resolution should be relatively quicker than what you have reported here.
It appears to be something with how the extender is communicating with Verizon. They did not seem to think the device was bad as all lights remain blue. The only thing they asked about my broadband connection was the speed. They directed me to a site and I tested my speed and it was more than adequate. It SEEMS like they would just send another device to make sure that it is not faulty, but I guess that would be too easy !
No reset botton on the device. Appears all that I can do is unplug it to restart it. There is a USB port on the bottom (covered by a rubber flap) - not sure what this is for (firmware upgrade?). Thanks for the response.
First thing I would do is to ask for a warranty replacement if it is still under warranty. It has been 2 months, after all.
2nd thing I would do if MY business depended so much on my cell phone while in my home is to have my calls forwarded to my home phone while I was at home and stop the forwarding when I leave home. At least this way I have a reliable phone to use while at home until this is sorted out.
I found a newer version of a wireless extender that supports 3G on ebay - it did not include the GPS or power cord (unit only) for $29. I took a chance and when I received it, I swapped my GPS and the power cord was the same. It fired up and works like a charm. I now have 5 bars and can connect to the extender. Obviously my other was bad- not sure why all lights were blue and also why Verizon did not rule this out before doing anything else. Would have saved me 4 months of screwing around with this issue. In any case, I'm a happy camper now.