Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wireless Extender - Plans for EVDO Support
psgms6

Hello, I just picked up the wireless extender as the service in the house was often hit-or-miss.  After installing the extender service is great, but as I learned, there is no support for wireless data.

As a Storm user, I rely on the data heavily, for both work and personal use.  Yes, I still get my BES emails, but not even Visual Voice Mail works.

Does anyone know if there are plans to support data in the near future?  If not, I believe I'll live with the sketchy service and take back the pricey device...

Looks like I'm going to have to hang onto my home phone service after all when I take this back... 

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Extender - Plans for EVDO Support
bkllc
Just wondering how things are working for you, I had just gotten mine this weekend. Will probably return it (second one).... seems to be an outage right now, sys light solid red (I'm in Warwick, NY).. My phones have a hard time satying linked to the extender. Once your on a call it will stay linked but if your not it may link, you then move to another room and it may go back to the over the air preference... Seems like it would function much better in a very low to no existant sugnal area.
Message Edited by bkllc on 04-05-2009 10:18 AM
0 Likes
Re: Wireless Extender - Plans for VIDEO Support
psgms6

Well, from a call perspective, it works great.  But, as you mentioned, I have a very poor signal normally in the house and often have dropped calls.  Every call I have placed so far while in the house has used the extender.

The problem is, I'm going to have to return it because I have 0 data service in the house now.  Being a Blackberry business user, I rely heavily on the my Blackberry and email, so right now the extender is causing more harm than good.  At least with the poor signal I got before I would get my emails and notifications.  Now, nothing... sad trade off...  Looks like I'll be keeping my home phone.

Any word on data from your side? 

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Extender - Plans for VIDEO Support
bkllc

I was focused on voice and txt messages which seemed o work fine... My house is a technical contradiction... I can go upstairs on the bedroom level and get a good EVDO sig... If I go in the attic I can get 4 bars!. An antenna / repeater solution is probably better but this Extender seemed less expensive and easier.  I had read somewhere that the EVDO capability might be added to the unit via a firmware revision, I think the chips already exist in the unit but Verizon is pretty bad about telling you when something will occur..

So anyway I'm taking the unit back this afternoon... If the unit had its own SID or you could easily set it up on the second NAM it would be good for me.

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Extender - Plans for EVDO Support
ColdnFrosty
The extender works great with data, on 1X. All my BlackBerry features work fine. true, it is not at EV speeds, but 1X is fine for being at home.
0 Likes