can two computers on a home network access the internet through a wireless card and how if so?
bbpierce

I am a complete newbie at this stuff.  I have a laptop that has a wireless card and another computer at home.  I have a router, a linksys wireless n home Router that is set up and both computers can access it.  The computer that doesn't have the verizon wireless card in it can't reach the network.  Is it possible to do this or am I trying to do something that is not available.  Thanks for any information.

0 Likes
Re: can two computers on a home network access the internet through a wireless card and how if so?
Not applicable

The easiest way would be to purchase a CradlePoint router and plug your Verizon card into the router.  I got mine here  http://moremobileinternet.com/

0 Likes
Re: can two computers on a home network access the internet through a wireless card and how if so?
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, a 3G mobile broadband router, such as the CradlePoint would be the best.

I got a CradlePoint CTR350 recently at BestBuy for $69.99.  It works great.  you just plug the USB modem into its port,

and it does all the rest.  there is ONE lan port where you could plug in your desktop if you were hard-wired.  Laptops

and other wireless devices connect thru the b/g networking.  the CTR350 does not support "N". you can also setup

security, and much more.  I was amazed by the simplicity.

The other way to enable sharing between the modem is to enable ICS(Internet Connection Sharing)...which would mean

that the PC or laptop that the USB modem is plugged into NOW acts as the server for the connection., but you would still

need a router(hard or wireless) for the other wireless devices to connect to.  The settings are a little tricky to configure.

So, if you have a few extra bucks to spend in your investment, go with the CradlePoint!

0 Likes
bbpierce

thanks so much for the info.  The card I have is not a USB it is the express card that you insert into the laptop.  I don't think this will work with a Cradle Point.  Any other suggestions?  I guess I could always change to a USB modem if necessary

0 Likes
Not applicable

Check out the CradlePoint MBR 1000.  It will accept anything you throw at it.

0 Likes
aintigreat

Really will it accept a PCMCIA card?   NOT

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes, with an adapter.

0 Likes
Hemingray
Enthusiast - Level 3

I like the ICS option, cept for mine, I use an old Linksys USB adaptor and just share over an ad-hoc wireless network (no router/hub needed). Makes it easier for me to share my connection with a couple of my friends at work who bring their laptops with them.

0 Likes
bbpierce

I have the computers wirelessly networked but I still cannot get the second computer to access the internet through the first computer that has the verizon card in it.  Does verizon block this access since I have one card and two computers?

0 Likes
Not applicable

There is no reason Verison would need to block that.  You are using both computers in the same place and using your 5 GB of available capacity.

0 Likes