data usage
dudet

I have a 3g hot spot at home with a laptop and desktop using it, in 2 yyears it reached 4gigs of data, I liked it so much I purchased a 4g jetpack to take to work, not even two weeks of using it with ONLY one laptop, and not using it for games or movies , just youtube and surfing checking emails  and not all day either, mine was already 2.5 gigs, I also went to the place I purchased it and the guy said I had something on mypc that was running. I tried to explain that it did not use that much memory at home with TWO pc's he said to bring my pc in and he would look for problems. I could understand if it happened at home too. would love some honest help!!!

0 Likes
Re: data usage
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are several threads on this forum about data usage and jetpacks ... you may want to do a search.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Youtube can use a considerable amount of data.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Data usage is the #1 issue on the forums for MiFi/Jetpack devices.  There is much we do not know or cannot know when it comes to how our bills are composed each month.  Only Verizon knows what they are charging you for and the feedback they can provide us consumers is extremely limited.

First thing I would do is ask for a data log from VZW.  If you are still within your current billing cylce it should be available to you online. Otherwise you will need to contact VZW support for an archived log.  Once you have the log in hand take a look through the various timestamps and see if there are any trends.  Are you downloading large chunks of data in the morning, evening, or late night?  If so what could you have been doing during those time frames?

After you get an idea of what may be causing the data usage try to isolate the activities you were doing at those times.  I'd suggest performing that activity for an hour or so and then checking with VZW for an update on your usage.  You should be able to quickly build a picture of the apps and services that are consuming data.

Finally, take a look at these hints and tips that I have collected.

Examples of good data habits:

1. Avoid Video, use low def options if necessary
  2. Avoid Streaming music, use low def options if necessary
  3. Avoid High-res pictures, use low def options if necessary
  4. Close down your applications when you are done using them
  5. Disconnect from the device when you are not using it
  6. Check in on your usage frequently until you understand
    what impact your habits have on the plan
  7. Turn off automatic updates for any programs or services
  8. Secure your device by changing the default connection
    credentials to custom values
0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

John Getzke wrote:

First thing I would do is ask for a data log from VZW.  If you are still within your current billing cylce it should be available to you online. Otherwise you will need to contact VZW support for an archived log. 

You can access the past three months' worth of data usage logs via the Account Owner's on-line MyVerizon account.

0 Likes