error wmc103
muttandjeff

My USB Modem will not connect now. I keep getting "error wmc103" pop-ups. went to the Verizon Store and they said there was nothing wrong with the device but how could I get the same error message on my laptop and my PC?  The troulbe all started when I canceled an upgrade on the device in the middle of the process and now I can't get online at all.......  help please.      Kris

0 Likes
Re: error wmc103
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Kris,

Reinstall your USB Modem software with the lates version. 

If you could capture screenshots of the error message or describe what you are doing when you see it maybe we can offer some more suggestions.  The error message as you posted it to the forums does not sound like something that would be coming from the modem iteself.

0 Likes
muttandjeff

The service tech at teh Verizon store downloaded the newest VZAcess Manager onto my laptop and when I bring it up and click "connect" and after it starts "initalizing" I get that pop-up ...error wmc103.  It was happening at the store and she said it was my laptop but how could that be when it's happening on my PC also?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

If the modem is bad then VZW tech support should be able to confirm it for you and issue a replacement.  I'd suggest working with the 1-800 tech support instead of a store rep on this one.  Store reps are only trained to sell devices, not troubleshoot them.  At the very least VZW tech support should be able to look up what that error message means and give us a better idea on where the trouble area is.

0 Likes
muttandjeff

I had been on the phone twice with Verizon Tech Support before I went down to the store and they were unable to help me with the error pop-up. that's why I went directly down to the store so someone could be "hands-on" with the device and laptop and just "fix it" instead of walking me thru jumps and hoops to get the same result..... now it looks like I wil have to fork over a ton of maney and have some Geekbox/sqaud person try and figure it out....... very frustrating.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Your experience is inconsistent even for VZW support and store reps. 

It feels like we are overlooking or missing something here. Someone should have come up with the idea to try swapping the USB modem with another by now.  At the very least the store rep could have grabbed one from thier demo area and hooked it up to your computer to confirm an issue with your machine or not.  In any other situation VZW would have sent you a replacement modem with minimum hassle, theres really nothing else to try with USB modems.

If it were me, I'd try VZW one more time and focus the conversation around these key points:

1. USB modem cannot connect to internet

2. VZAccess software flashes "error wmc103" when you click Connect

3. Reproduced the problem on multiple computer

4. Reproduced the problem in multiple locations

5. Started happening after a failed firmware update

If it can save you the cost of sending a tech to your home to essentially reload your computers it will be worth the extra hour of time on the phone.  Not sure what the geeks are quoting you but I'd bet it would be a minimum of 1hr of service plus drive time for them to even look at your computers.  I'd save that for an absolute last resort, and only if I could confirm that the USB modem can successfully connect from another computer.  From whats been shared here it sounds like the modem is hosed and wont work no matter who tries to use it.

0 Likes
muttandjeff

When it first happened VZ Manager was trying to update and I canceled it in midstream, Then I called Tech Support and after scolding me to interrupting the upgrade he tried to fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling the software, That did not work so then they mailed me a new modem and I had to transfer my SIM card to the new modem and when I tried to connect I got the same error wmc103 and called Tech Support again and he treid to help with no luck so then I went down to the store and had a Rep help me there and she downloaded  a new Manager and put in a new SIM card and tried again and got the sme error wcm103. She could get access using her cellphone and cable to my laptop but could not get the modem to connect and then she said it was my computer.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Ah, now things are starting to fit togeather better.  We can see that you have already tried replacing the modem and SIM card but have not improved on the situation.  This new info does build more evidence towards your computer having the real problem, but I wouldn't close the case yet.

The store reps troubleshooting skills seem poor, unfortunetly thats expected. A little more preserverance on her side could have revealed more conclusive evidence.  Connecting over a USB cable and a cellphone does not prove that your new USB modem is working correctly.  Quite the opposite, if anything it proves that your computer is working fine.

VZAccess Manager needs to be compatible with the devices you are connecting.  Perhaps when the rep installed her cellphone on your machine she switched VZAM and did not restore your original software.  Lets try reinstalling one more time to make absolutely certain we are using the correct version of the software on your computers. 

Use the following link, find your device in the list, choose the appropriate OS for your computer and give it a whirl.  You may have to download the files to a CD or USB memory stick in order to transfer the files from your current location to your home computers.

VZAM Supported Devices:

http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx

Post your device model number and OS if you need assistance in this area.

0 Likes
muttandjeff

went to a different Verizon store and he ordred me a third modem and now I

am waiting for that. he said it has to do with Windows 7 now..... the Saga

continues.......

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM, John Getzke <community@verizonwireless.com

0 Likes