hp pavilion dm1 as hotspot
Rich1540

ive just got this lappy for my wife ,and decided took hook sons ipod to it for a hot spot  ,well when i hook it to the the ipod it is asking me for password for wpa ,never put one in so verizon must do this on there broadband cards built in ? so how do i find out what it is ?

help going up north and this is frustrating

Thanks for any help with this ,really quiet when there brains are busy lol!

0 Likes
Re: hp pavilion dm1 as hotspot
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2
  1. Open your web browser. In the address bar, type http://192.168.1.1 and hit enter. This is the default IP address of many wireless routers. If this does not load a web page, consult your router manual for the configuration IP address.

2. On the screen that appears, you will be prompted to enter your username and password. If you do not know your user name and password, try the default user name and password for your router. The most common default user name is "admin," and the password is often blank. If this doesn't work, try the user name "admin" and the password "password." If every combination you try fails, consult the manual for your router to find the defaults.

3. If you are unable to log in or locate your router's user name and password, reset the router. To do this, locate the small hole in the back or bottom of your router. Stick a pin or sharp object inside the hole to press the reset button. Keep this button pressed for about 15 seconds. After the router reboots, the default factory settings should be in place. Repeat step two to find the defaults and login.

4. In your router's settings, look for a "security" or "wireless security" tab. Open this tab, and the WPA key should be displayed.

0 Likes
Rich1540
Sorry but I'm not using a router ! This what I'm doing ,laptop has broadband built in and a wifi card broadcom ,I'm using the broadcom to put out wifi signal so I can atach the ipod to ,but the wifi signal from the laptop has a wpa password which I did not setup ?
Thank u for the reply thou!!
0 Likes
Rich1540

okay update ,called verizonwireless again and they got mad at me ,finally heard what i did not want to here ?

when i activate broadband card for sharing ,then use wifi card to put out wifi signal any thing that picks up signal will ask u for a wpa/wpa2 password ,well verizon has signal password protected on the broadband card so u cant connect to it ?

And this is one of the reasons i got the netbook ,multitasking  would have been nice ?

And every

everyone one thought i was crazy said that a laptop cant do this ,ive been doing this for a long time i dont even own a router i use my laptop for everything in my house wifi  , at verizonwireless there techs get confused when they cant find the answer in a book i guess?

anything is possible ,it is not right that they think that people cant protect them selfves ,they said it was for my own protection ! they just want me to get a mifi ,money money !!!!

Thanks for looking and the help !

0 Likes