iPad and MiFi deal from Verizon Wireless
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

Check this out at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad.jsp  This will be a great Christmas present for you or for someone else.  I wonder if the new relationship between VZW and Apple is a sign of good things to come...?  We shall see.

Doc

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: iPad and MiFi deal from Verizon Wireless
hellopretty86
Enthusiast - Level 3

The iPad and special promotional bundles will be sold exclusively through Verizon Wireless retail stores, telesales, verizonwireless.com/ipad and business-to-business sales representatives. Another great device in an already extensive lineup means even more ways to empower customers to Rule the Air.

The iPad will be available with three bundles - all featuring an iPad Wi-Fi model, a Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot and a case designed for both devices. A monthly access plan of up to 1GB of data for just $20 a month will be available for customers who purchase the bundles.

0 Likes
ScottD67

Does anyone know if the MiFi2200 pricing and $20/month 1GB plan will be made to existing iPad owners (ie. if you don't purchase the iPad from Verizon).  I'd love to switch from AT&T but hard to justify with the regular MiFi $40+/month plans.

-Scott

0 Likes
Not applicable
Never mind...
0 Likes
ccillo

I can't wait for these. I am def buying one.

0 Likes
adc

Since it's only being offered through the Verizon bundle, I doubt it.  Any iPad purchased through Apple would not be eligible.

0 Likes
dorkmo

i have a mifi, no interest in ipad
i logged in today to try and switch my plan over to the new ipad plans
there were a few things that concerned me before i hit the accept button
Mobile Broadband for Dedicated 3G Mobile Hotspots and 3G Netbooks
what exactly is the different between my current mifi plan and dedicated 3g mobile hotspots
what is 3G PROVISIONING?
if i select the ipad plan it says i need to upgrade my mifi? what is that about?

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

The MiFi is a dedicated hotspot, just like the new fivespot device.

The reason you got the MiFi upgrade requirement on the ipad plan is that there are 4 plan options there that are all offered ONLY on the iPad/MiFi bundle. If you go to the next tab over in the mifi/netbooks column you will see 2 plans listed there you can select, the 5Gig and the 10 gig one. At least that's what I got on my netbook plan, with the same "upgrade" requirement for the ipad plans. Now since you have a MiFi, you also might see thd 3Gig/$35 plan also,, since it's on a "promo" whatever that means, but because my netbook is not, I didn't get it, which is of course, the plan I reeally wanted.

I personally do not like this device selectivity at all. I think these plans should be totally device agnostic. Tablets, netbooks, mifi's, modems, aircards, whatever, they should have equal access to all plans. I don't like Verizon choosing my device for me depending on what data delivery package I want. Their job is solely to deliver data, not tell me what devices I must use or where I can consume my data, be it a phone, a mifi, a tethered computer or a 3G-equipped sky-writing WW I bi-plane flying in the deep blue sky.

0 Likes
pawdog

I think dedicated 3g Mobile Hotspot is is just new terminology for the MiFi.

Looks like they have a device that only works with the Ipad. You would loose the ability to connect with any other devices.

Your plan change is under the dedicated mobile 3g hotspot tab.

I upgraded to the 80gig plan.

try this link regarding the 3g provisioning http://www.opengear.com/faq381-3G-CDMA-Sprint-Verizon.html  there is a pdf file at the bottom of the page.

I don't really understand it, but there it is.

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

Actually, you CAN use the MiFi that you get with the IPad bundle for other wifi devices also. The only difference between it and the regular MiFi plan is Verizon is giving you additional data package choices (1Gig @ $20/mo & 3Gig @ $35/mo) that they don't offer with the regular MiFi and notebook plans. Nice deal if a little kludgy if you want an IPad with some versatile connectivity, but personally I don't want either device. I like notebook with built-in 3G card, less tech junk to carry around. But that's just me. This is just a temporary solution for Verizon though, since next year they will be coming out with LTE-enabled devices.

Incidentally, I've noticed as a matter of interest, that here as well as on other forums, quite a few people are pulling the trigger on the new 10Gig @ $80/mo plan. That actually concerns me a little bit, because that seems to indicate people will pay a hefy premium for big data buckets on LTE. And Big Red is really gonna love that !!!

0 Likes