iPhone 6 prioritizes poor 4G Connection over strong network extender 3G signal
Brianc6796

I use the network extender due to poor coverage in my basement.  I have spent multiple hours with both Verizon and Apple trying to figure out why sometimes my iPhone 6 won't connect to it, including a hard reset of the iPhone.  I finally figure out that the iPhone 6 prioritizes getting a 4g connection, not matter how poor, over a 3g connection, no matter how strong.  As a result, my phone will occasionally latch on to a weak 4g signal and not connect to the Network Extender.  When I then get or make a call, the connection and voice quality is terrible.  The only work around is to completely turn off LTE.  This forces connection to the 3G Network Extender.  Of course, I then forget to turn it back on when I leave the house.  Are there any plans to provide some sort of a fix or a setting to make this more convenient?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 6 prioritizes poor 4G Connection over strong network extender 3G signal
Jumpeeman
Enthusiast - Level 1

PROBLEM SOLVED (so far). My wifes iphone 6 plus had the exact same issue. . .would keep going back to the weak 4G signal over the network extender.

To fix it, go into SETTINGS>CELLULAR>Enable LTE and set to DATA ONLY. . .NOT Voice and Data.

So far so good. . .only affects being able to make calls and surf the web at the same time, so if you don't do that much then you're not going to be inconvenienced too badly.

Hope it works for you!  Also, if the iPhone 6plus is like my Note3, then it has 2 antennas, 1 that's hooked into 4G and the other one that's connected to the network extender. . .it defaults to the 4G signal, so it may only show minimal bars till you actual make or receive a phone call then it'll jump to the network extender signal strength.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 6 prioritizes poor 4G Connection over strong network extender 3G signal
Snn5
Legend

I had the exact same issue.  Verizon is supposedly coming out with 4G extenders, though the price is going to be rather high I'd think.  If they charge $249.99 for a 3G extender, just imagine a 4G extender.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The only fixes are:

Stop using your phone in the basement.

Remember to reenable 4g.

I'm not sure how or why you got an extender but signal is not guaranteed everywhere.

Get a landline for the basement.

0 Likes
Brianc6796

Yes, of course are all obvious options, none of which is very desirable.  That is why I made the post, in the hopes that Verizon will fix this.  I got a range extender because my office is in my basement and all my business contacts call me on my cell phone.  The days of having a "desk phone" are long gone.

No, the range extender isn't guaranteed to work everywhere.  It is also supposed to work somewhere when you have such a bad signal that you can't have a voice conversation. 

Any more helpful suggestions?

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I gave them to you. The rest is up to you, my friend!

0 Likes
Jumpeeman
Enthusiast - Level 1

PROBLEM SOLVED (so far). My wifes iphone 6 plus had the exact same issue. . .would keep going back to the weak 4G signal over the network extender.

To fix it, go into SETTINGS>CELLULAR>Enable LTE and set to DATA ONLY. . .NOT Voice and Data.

So far so good. . .only affects being able to make calls and surf the web at the same time, so if you don't do that much then you're not going to be inconvenienced too badly.

Hope it works for you!  Also, if the iPhone 6plus is like my Note3, then it has 2 antennas, 1 that's hooked into 4G and the other one that's connected to the network extender. . .it defaults to the 4G signal, so it may only show minimal bars till you actual make or receive a phone call then it'll jump to the network extender signal strength.

Good luck!

0 Likes