laptop shows "access: local only" when connected to this hotspot
dmdbur

I have the Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MHS291L set up in my home environment.  I have a number of computers that are able to connect to it and use the internet.  There is one laptop that I have (Lenovo SL500) which is Vista SP2, that has trouble connecting to the Jetpack.  I went into the Connected Devices settings for the Jetpack and noticed that this particular laptop was in the Blocked Devices section.  I Unblocked the laptop and it then appeared in the Connected Devices section.  Not sure how it got into the Blocked Devices section in the first place.  Anyways, upon trying to connect to the wireless network, I looked at the wireless network connection and it shows "Access:  Local only" instead of "Acess: Local and Internet."  It seems like the laptop connects to wireless, but I cannot browse the internet in any browser.  Also, I have tried this laptop at someone else's house that has a standard wireless router (no hotspot) and the laptop connects fine and is able to browse the internet.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: laptop shows "access: local only" when connected to this hotspot
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The network status indicator on Windows products cannot always be trusted.  Windows uses its own algorithm to determine its connectivity by checking a few resources on the web.  In a nutshell if Windows can make it to the resources then it declares itself internet connected or otherwise.  What you should do is your own troubleshooting to determine what is truly going on.

First step is to check your IP Address.  Windows will display a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP if it is not completely connected to the current router/jetpack.  If that is the case then your laptop has not been accepted onto the router and you should check your connection credentials or recreate your connection profile.

The next step if you have a normal and good IP address is to manually check the internet by browsing to a website.  Even though your computer cannot communicate the way it wants to that doesn't always mean that all internet communication is having a problem.  You should always try a simple browse to Google or another popular search engine or website when experiencing problems to confirm the scope of the situation.

Pending on how these first two simple checks go you should proceed one way or another.  Chances are there is a wireless profile conflict on your Vista machine for your Jetpack. The best course of action would be to wipe the wireless profile and start over from scratch.  I'd start here and work my way outwards.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: laptop shows "access: local only" when connected to this hotspot
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The network status indicator on Windows products cannot always be trusted.  Windows uses its own algorithm to determine its connectivity by checking a few resources on the web.  In a nutshell if Windows can make it to the resources then it declares itself internet connected or otherwise.  What you should do is your own troubleshooting to determine what is truly going on.

First step is to check your IP Address.  Windows will display a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP if it is not completely connected to the current router/jetpack.  If that is the case then your laptop has not been accepted onto the router and you should check your connection credentials or recreate your connection profile.

The next step if you have a normal and good IP address is to manually check the internet by browsing to a website.  Even though your computer cannot communicate the way it wants to that doesn't always mean that all internet communication is having a problem.  You should always try a simple browse to Google or another popular search engine or website when experiencing problems to confirm the scope of the situation.

Pending on how these first two simple checks go you should proceed one way or another.  Chances are there is a wireless profile conflict on your Vista machine for your Jetpack. The best course of action would be to wipe the wireless profile and start over from scratch.  I'd start here and work my way outwards.

0 Likes