mifi constantly disconnects
slandsman

I have a mifi device, ordered the first day they came out.  I bought it to replace a sprint evdo card + cradlepoint setup to keep in my bag for travel and coffee shops.

Unfortunately, I've noticed, at least when using the wireless mode, the mifi frequently disconnects briefly and reconnects.  The result is a device that is pretty useless, as it'll kick me off my IM and VPN clients, forcing me to reconnect separately.  

I've returned the device once, and it seems that the problem got better, but I am seeing it pretty consistently again.

It is not a signal problem, I see at least 3 bars.  Nor is it a location problem, this is happening in downtown Washington DC tonight and in Boston previous times, both of which have good verizon coverage and excellent sprint evdo coverage.

I'm a little frustrated, but really want the mifi to work for me.  It is much smaller and doesn't use a wall wart like the cradlepoint did.

Any thoughts?

I've attached the connect / disconnect log below:

System Log> HTML Version 017 expected. HTML Version 18.  Log start on 01/06/1980 00:00:01am GMT

06/16/09 08:37:21pm> Current Time

06/16/09 08:37:20pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:37:19pm> 3G Connected

06/16/09 08:37:06pm> 3G Disconnect

06/16/09 08:36:49pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:36:04pm> 3G Connected

06/16/09 08:35:54pm> 3G Disconnect

06/16/09 08:33:20pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:33:09pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:30:22pm> 3G Connected

06/16/09 08:30:12pm> 3G Disconnect

06/16/09 08:29:59pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:29:48pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:28:30pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:28:19pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:26:40pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:26:28pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:22:44pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:22:33pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:21:15pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:21:04pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:16:17pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:16:06pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:11:09pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

06/16/09 08:10:56pm> 3G Dormant State

06/16/09 08:09:57pm> 3G Connected

06/16/09 08:09:55pm> [ARP] Record IP 192.168.1.110  00:25:00:42:53:CF

06/16/09 08:09:55pm> [ARP] Client IP 192.168.1.110  00:25:00:42:53:CF

06/16/09 08:09:55pm> [ARP] Record IP 192.168.1.110  00:25:00:42:53:CF

06/16/09 08:09:55pm> [ARP] Client IP 192.168.1.110  00:25:00:42:53:CF

06/16/09 08:09:53pm> [WiFi] Association 00:25:00:42:53:CF

06/16/09 08:09:31pm> [WiFi] BSS Start 00:21:E8:3C:0C:99 

Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIXED Re: mifi constantly disconnects
GinaH_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Hello mtyler1115, for connection issue at your family member's house, it appears it does have to do with building interference especially if there are no interruptions at your house. We can do more in depth troubleshooting to confirm by calling us from their home with the MiFi available at 800-922-0204.
As for your question about setting up a steady internet connection, your data connection will go into a "sleep" or dormant mode after a period without any data being transmitted.  While it is beneficial to the network, this also limits any data usage running causing unexpected overages. If applications such as desktop weather apps or Anti-Virus scans (which all ping the network often) are running, the connection may not ever be idle/dormant. Please keep in mind this would use data against your data usage allowance.
There is an option in VZ Access Manager to auto-connect while in use. For Mac's, select VZAccess Manager menu--> Preferences --> Auto-Connect WWAN. For Windows select Options --> Connect --> WWAN connection type: NDIS Mode - Auto-connect.
GinaH_VZWSupport

Hello mtyler1115, for connection issue at your family member's house, it appears it does have to do with building interference especially if there are no interruptions at your house. We can do more in depth troubleshooting to confirm by calling us from their home with the MiFi available at 800-922-0204.

As for your question about setting up a steady internet connection, your data connection will go into a "sleep" or dormant mode after a period without any data being transmitted.  While it is beneficial to the network, this also limits any data usage running causing unexpected overages. If applications such as desktop weather apps or Anti-Virus scans (which all ping the network often) are running, the connection may not ever be idle/dormant. Please keep in mind this would use data against your data usage allowance.

There is an option in VZAccess Manager to auto-connect while in use. For Mac's, select VZAccess Manager menu--> Preferences --> Auto-Connect WWAN. For Windows select Options --> Connect --> WWAN connection type: NDIS Mode - Auto-connect.

GinaH_VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: mifi constantly disconnects
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2
Have you called tech support on this?  Since the device is so new I wouldn't want to recommend anything as I am not the expert on this device, but if you can give us a call a technical support representative might be able to trouble shoot this with you.  Please let me know so I can keep in the loop on this one.
0 Likes
slandsman
I already had the device replaced once at a Verizon store.  I'll get in touch with technical support again tonight and post an update if they can resolve the issue.
0 Likes
blackwidowinsc
Contributor - Level 1
Do you find that this problem occurs when you are accessing certain applications when using your computerFor example, if you are running your company's VPN and then open an application such as Outlook, does the computer disconnectThe use of a VPN can cause issues due to the amount of data that the card/MiFi is attempting to processFrequent disconnects could be a resultI would try to use the MiFi for a few hours without a connection to the VPN and open different applications to see if a disconnect occursTry this same step when connected to your VPN and see if the you experience an issueIt may be a hassle, but if you are able to keep a connection when the MiFi is plugged in that may be a decent work a round for you.
0 Likes
slandsman

So while I understand that value of trying to debug where the issue may lie, if I cannot use the mifi, as it was advertised, as a wireless hotspot where I can log into my corporate VPN (using the Cisco VPN client software, a fairly standard package), then it is a useless device, and I expect Verizon to be willing to take it back so I can return to my working Sprint + CradlePoint solution.  Losing a USB port on my laptop, not being able to use it with my iPhone, and not being able to use my VPN software are all deal breakers for me, and, I think, reasonably so.

As far as I can tell, the device disconnects at fairly random intervals, sometimes just as I turn it on and surf to a couple of web sites and sometimes after 20 minutes of use, regardless of the software i run.  However, it, without fail, does disconnect.

I've had no luck getting to verizon tech support, I spent 30 minutes on hold last night and another 60 tonight.  Once my kid is settled in for the night, I'll call back and wait it out. 

0 Likes
Re: mifi constantly disconnects -- canceling verizon
slandsman

Michele,

I appreciate your response, I need to cancel my verizon service.  After trying to get through to tech support for three days, I finally got through, and all they can offer is that I should go back to verizon and try to get a new device.  I've already gone through this once, to no avail, the current device is my second mifi device.

So, at this point, I have two options.  Go back, yet again, and get a new mifi device, thereby ensuring that I miss the 30 day window to cancel the device and my verizon service, or go back to my working sprint setup.

Since verizon has no way to extend the cancelation window, I have no choice but to return the device and go back to my working setup.

I think the mifi is a great concept, but if I can't use it, I can't afford to spend the money.

Thanks 

0 Likes
Re: mifi constantly disconnects -- canceling verizon
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
If you return it and wait at least 3 days, you can begin another 30-day evaluation without penalty.  (I'm always on the lookout for the "rules and regulations".  If you search through the verizon site you'll find what I'm refering to)
0 Likes
Re: mifi constantly disconnects -- canceling Verizon
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

I'm sorry that you've had to disconnect your service, that's not something we ever want to hear.  Unfortunately with any new device there are going to be issues it doesn't matter how much any company test and retests a device there are going to be issues.  I hope that in the future we can gain your trust and business back.

0 Likes
IanMacInnes

As a new MiFi owner, I noticed the same problem, and tech support says there's no way to alter the settings for automatic dormancy.  I was on the verge of returning the device yesterday but ironically I was deterred by the two-hour wait time at the Verizon store. I decided to try an odd solution which so far has seemed to work. I have an old Apple Airport Express Base station which we've been using to stream audio in the house.  I reconfigured it to "join" the network created by the MiFi 2200.  Because the Airport is constantly broadcasting its demands to join the MiFi network, it seems to fool the MiFi into thinking there's always an active connection, and it has stopped going into dormant mode.   

Of course, this is obviously not an ideal solution, nor one available to everyone, so I hope Verizon finds a way to modify the dormancy settings on the MiFi itself.   I'm also concerned that perhaps the MiFi is simply not built to sustain a constant wireless network and will burn itself out.  Time will tell. I'd better check the warranty. 

0 Likes
SameRain

Although I am using my MiFi frequently & find it good on the whole, I am experiencing the disconnect problem also, & not just when using it wirelessly; the same thing happens when I use it as a tethered air card via the USB cable, & wireless is disabled. I used a Blackberry Curve for several months via the USB tether in the same location, with no disconnects of this sort, so I don't think it is a signal problem. I think it's caused by a hardware or software glitch in the MiFi or VZ Access Manager. And I am not using a VPN at all with this device, so it's not connected to VPN issues.

What I typically see when it's tethered is that occasionally (maybe once per hour, but sometimes more frequently) is that suddenly the Internet connection will seem to freeze for a minute, & then when I look at Access Manager, I see that either it's dropped back to 1x from EVDO, or disconnected completely. If I shut down Access Manager, then use Device Manager to disable the USB connection to the MiFi, unplug the USB connection, then power off the Mifi, wait 10 or 15 seconds, then plug the USB back in, the MiFi will reconnect via EVDO & everything works great... for a while, till the next disconnect.

This really seems like a new hardware glitch. Verizon should put a really smart engineer on this & then send out a hardware or software update before people start badmouthing the MiFi heavily in the forums. The MiFi is a great concept, but Verizon needs to stay on top of tech support issues with it if they want it to be a big success.

0 Likes