Re: mifi constantly disconnects
blacksheepfoto
I will give that a shot sometime tomorrow and see what it does.
0 Likes
timtrain35
Based on krelvinaz's "testing", I wonder if it could be just a power issue, or lack thereof?  Does anyone know what kind of battery is in this?  Does the device draw power from the USB connection?  Has anyone expeirenced the dropouts while connected to external power?  What a shame about all this, it seemed like such a great idea.
Message Edited by timtrain35 on 08-17-2009 05:49 PM
0 Likes
dmilne223

I really wish I would have stumbled on these posts before I purchased the MiFi 2200. My USB150 was working fine and I decided to purchase an additional card for my husband's laptop. Instead I was told the MiFi 2200 would work for both laptops. After cancelling our home internet and using the MiFi for about 3 weeks, I foolishly sent in the rebate. Of course within a day or so of sending in the rebate, my MiFi does not work at all in WiFi mode. As a result only 1 person at a time can use the card to access the internet. I can't even stay connected long enough wirelessly to make modifications to the card. After spending about an hour with customer support they determined I needed a replacement device as they've never experienced the disconnect problem. Obviously they don't talk much as from these posts, EVERYONE is experiencing disconnects! I received the replacement device this afternoon and after 2+ hours trying to get it working, still no luck with using the WiFi. Such a waste of time and money. I've been with Verizon for 15+ years and really don't know that I will be staying with them after this experience. Obviously they are promoting a defective product that doesn't do what it is advertised to do.

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

No, not everyone is having problems.  I use my MiFi every day and it performs flawlessy for hours at a time when I use it that long.

AAMOF, I doubt you can count  a dozen people here who are having the sort of problem you are experiencing.  Keep on Verizon for a fix and good luck.

If there is some issue with the hardware you are using with the MiFI, don't expect too much from support.  While I like my MiFi card, support has been dreadful.  

I think you'll find you can still return the unit even if you did send in the rebate, unlike other stores.  Give them a call about that.

Message Edited by dave1812 on 08-19-2009 01:53 PM
Message Edited by dave1812 on 08-19-2009 01:56 PM
0 Likes
Tech_Addiction

A lot of connection problem can be linked to the security settings in the Mifi.  Older devices are not compatible with WPA2.  Also sub settings like TKIP or AES make a huge difference.  I have a Dell Axim that only works with WAP.  I also have not had any of the connection problems.  Mine has stayed connected all day with an ultra portable Viliv S5 Slate computer.  I also have my Ipod Touch connected at the same time all day.  This is only my opinion but using a device like the Mifi as your only internet device for home use is like trying to get a low powered netbook to replace your desktop computer.  I just don't think it's designed for that.  For me it has turned a useless Ipod Touch into an amazing must have device and for those who hate AT&T's service and Edge network.  I hope everyone who is experiencing issues can get this resolved soon so you can go back to enjoying this amazing device.

Message Edited by Tech_Addiction on 08-21-2009 07:12 PM
Message Edited by Tech_Addiction on 08-21-2009 07:12 PM
0 Likes
amturnip

I got a MiFi for use with Linux.  Linux does wifi really well, but some USB modems are Windows/Mac only, so I thought MiFi would be obvious.

At the Verizon store, the salesman told me MiFi was out of stock and tried to convince me to get a USB modem, but I insisted on MiFi and finally he fetched one from the stockroom.

Unfortunately, my MiFi did not hold onto the Verizon network.  I was trying it out in Washington DC.  I put it by the window, I pointed it various directions, I plugged it into power, I ran it on battery... in all cases, its wifi worked without flaw and its embedded website said it had great cellular reception, but it often would not connect to Verizon, and often after connecting it held the Verizon connection for only seconds before disconnecting.  I got only one good satisfying internet session with it over the course of two days of trying it out.  (I found this thread on that occasion!)

I returned the MiFi forthwith and got a USB760 instead.  The USB760 reports weaker reception than the MiFi did, but the USB760 grips the Verizon network firmly, at least in my stationary experiments. 

0 Likes
How to keep MiFi from constantly disconnecting!
KStratMD

I have been using Verizon's Mobile Broadband for internet connectivity since practically before they even had Mobile Broadband.  Specifically I used my old Samsung i700 tethered to my Tablet PC and in the old days, is was just part of my regular cell phone charges (no data charges).   I also tethered an i730 later, but eventually with data charges found the Novatel USB 720 very useful and have used 2 of them and a USB 727 before just recently purchasing a MiFi, so I think I have a little experience with their network.

My main use for the broadband connections was to use Microsoft's standard VPN to get to my office/clinic software (I am a physician) so I could access patient records, electronically fill prescriptions, etc., while away.  I found from experience that I always had a better internet connection by using the VPN tunnel to my office through Verizon (and then from my office to the internet just like I was at my office), as opposed to connecting to the internet from Verizon directly without the VPN connection.  This has never been more noticeable however than with the MiFi.  I have read through all the other posts and tried all sorts of security settings, etc., but still get so frequent connects and disconnects to the internet (only with WiFi mode) that it didn't seem any better than the Novatel USB 720, meaning I would have to always use a USB connection with the MiFi.  I discovered however that if I used the VPN tunnel to my clinic as above, I had a rock solid connection to the internet with Verizon in WiFi mode.  In fact it gripped even better then with my other USB devices, including during a recent commercial plane flight this week.  However, again without the VPN tunnel though, it was useless in WiFi mode, including different cities (SLC and St. George, UT). I have verified the differences were not due to signal strength, power levels, other interference from cordless phones, etc.

Bottom line.  With the above findings, I think it is not a device issue as much as a programming issue with Verizon's network.  I hope they get it fixed because there must be a least some latency issues having to go to my clinic first before reaching the "cloud."  I hope all those people they show on TV ads will get to work fixing this, as the MiFi seems like a great device otherwise.

KStratMD

0 Likes
Re: How to keep MiFi from constantly disconnecting!
dmilne223

Here's an update to my August 19th post....

On August 19th, After spending an hour or so with tech support, I was told a trouble ticket would be opened and I should receive a response to my issue within 6 days. I finally called Verizon on August 31st (12 days later) and was told that no trouble ticket had been open. :smileysad:

After talking with yet another person from tech support (4th so far), she had me do the same reset settings as previously tried and by some miracle, MiFi has been working now for 6 days and with two laptops connecting to it! This leads me to believe that the device itself never had an issue and it is an error or problem with the actual Verizon network. This would explain why it worked for me for the first 3 1/2 weeks after I purchased it but stopped working for a little over 2 weeks (in the wireless state). I'm hoping Verizon has "fixed" the network issues as I really hate to go back to the USB type of connection. I live in the Chicago suburbs and have been using MiFi fairly consistently from the same location the entire time I've owned it including the 2 weeks were it stopped working in wireless mode. I have tested MiFi in the Champaign area (central Illinois) as well as in New Buffalo, Michigan. Both areas didn't have quite as strong of a signal.

0 Likes
mcnameeelectric

" Has anyone expeirenced the dropouts while connected to external power?  What a shame about all this, it seemed like such a great idea.

Message Edited by timtrain35 on 08-17-2009 05:49 PM"
This is my 1st time out with the MiFi.  I used to run the PCMCIA card with a Top Global Router.  Glad to find I am not the only one having this problem.
But yes, this is disconnecting when plugged into external power to me.
I will be reading all post here.  I HOPE someone figures something out as it is always disconnecting.
Thanks for this topic all.
Don
0 Likes
dmilne223

I almost always use MiFi with the external power source and yes, it was disconnecting during that time. Also tried unplugging it but had the same result. Now it has been working consistently for 6 days with very limited disconnects (usually after it has been on for more than 6 hours) and it has been connected to the external power source the entire time.

0 Likes