Re: mifi constantly disconnects
GregIthaca

I'm having the exact same problem with my MiFi 2200. I tried downloading the latest VZAccess Manager (7.0.10 2364a) and installing on my (nominally supported) Windows 2000 machine. The installation wiped out the old VZAccess Manager, but won't complete -- it gets most of the way through, then encounters some kind of problem and "rolls back" the install, leaving me with no VZAccess Manager at all installed.

I proceeded to go to the Verizon Wireless store for tech support at this point, but was told that they couldn't actually help me because they are prohibited from plugging devices in to their computers.  So much for the "bring it in and have them do it at the store" option for upgrading.  They sent me home with the phone number of a phone support person who does not answer his phone or his voicemails.

Next, I loaded it on another machine (Win XP) and it installed successfully. I went ahead with the firmware update as it suggested, and followed the instructions to "not interrupt the process" -- until it failed with an "Error 36". At this point, VZAccess manager wouldn't detect the device, and I discovered I could not even turn off the power.

I finally managed to reboot the device by taking the battery out, but it is still running the old firmware, so I'm still having my disconnection problems.

Am I cursed, or is this just the worst supported device in the history of technology?

Greg

0 Likes
Tech_Addiction

I had no problems running the VZ Access manager on WIn 7 RTM.  Win XP is not the most user friendly OS for plug and play.  Win 7 regonizes the device and loads the drivers instantly and VZ Access manager updates perfectly.  I didn't even uninstall the previous version first and it never even hesitated.  I know everyone is not capable of upgrading their OS right now but if you can swing it I highly recommend Win 7.  Best Buy has a family 3 computer pack upgrade for $149.95. 

0 Likes
BarbieLee123

I bought a Verizon MiFi 2200 about 2 months ago and it worked wonderfully.  There is a brick wall between our office (where MiFi is located) and the family room and it connected to a second computer with no problem whatsoever.  During the past week, we could not connect to a 2nd computer and couldn't get the first one connected with WiFi; when we did get a WiFi connection, we kept getting booted off the internet - all the while the transmission was "excellent".  1st computer is usually in our office (laptop). 

This week, we began having problems.  I called Verizon and they told me it was a "reception" problem.  He had me try to connect from the kitchen and there was a definite connection.  I have made no changes to this room (office).  It has the same TV, same wireless telephones, etc. That we had a month ago.  Has anyone experienced this?

Also, I only have Firmware v1.25 and everytime I ask Verizon Access Manger to get the latest updates, it says I have the latest update (there is a v1.35 Firmware out there, right?).  Has anyone figured out whether this help with connectivity problems?

Would much appreciate your help!  Barbie

0 Likes
JohnDroid

We just purchased a MiFi 2200.  We are experiencing disconnects for what appears to be a different reason than other forum members who are making posts in this discussion.  When we switch users on our Windows Vista computer, the action disconnects the wireless connection between the computer and the MiFi device.  Anyone else experiencing this same problem?

0 Likes
KrisBrilliant

Finally got this figured out - I think.

Point your browser to http://192.168.1.1   The password is admin.  Go to Advanced tab, Power.  Set Enter Standby Mode to Never. 

0 Likes
bobfireman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been fighting this battle also.  FWIW, the power standby change didn't do squat to fix the problem.

One of the issues may be related to firmware.  In an older version of VZAM, there was an option to change the firmware on the mifi from 1.25 to 1.35.  Unfortunately, they have removed that option from VZAM, and there is no other way (that I have found, anyways) to upgrade the firmware.  Verizon tech support is worthless, and denies any knowledge of the firmware upgrade, even though instructions on how to do it can be found on thier website.  Novatel also will not work with end-users.

Press releases I have found when the firmware upgrade was released indicate that it fixed several "issues", and I have to wonder if  this issue wasn't something that was fixed with the new firmware?

In any case, I'm switching my broadband account back to my U720 (which always worked flawlessly) and buying a Cradlepoint device.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Glad to know this isn't an isolated issue.  My parents bought a mifi 2200 in December and have been having the same issues with frequent disconnects.  It seems that when only one machine is connected and not actively using the connection, the mifi stays connected.  Try to actually use it or connected more than one machine and it disconnects about every 30min like clockwork.  Also sometimes when connecting to the mifi  for the first time on a windows vista or 7 machine, the mifi web interface will display ARP for IP Type under the LAN tab.  It will disconnect/reconnect every 5min unless you open the command prompt and release/renew the IP address.  Then the disconnects range from 30 min to about 2hrs.  

Tech support is clueless as to why it's doing it.  They recommended doing a factory reset or moving the device to a better signal area but neither have fixed the problem.  The signal meter usually displays 3-4 bars and the decibel readings range from about -89 to -99dBm for EVDO and -99 to -115dBm which aren't very good but there are no connection issues when tethered through a usb cable to the mifi 2200.   

0 Likes
Re: mifi constantly disconnects -- canceling verizon
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

May be too little too late, but if you connect and log into the interface, there should be a WWAN configuration selection.  If you can find the Power Management section, you need to verify that the power down if idle for ..... is only set at NEVER. 

If it goes dormant before this, you can press and hold the power button for 3 seconds to wake it up.

This should fix going dormant but coming out of it when data attempts to start.  Also, go through the security setup again and then change the name of the SSID to something different, when you save it and the device restarts, you will be prompted by your wireless notification showing the new name, connect to this one since the wireless cards sometimes get confused if the preferred networks has the same name and you may not get the changed one.

If it's too late for you, maybe it will help someone else.

0 Likes
Offroader

I've been having this same problem for quite some time and it appears that it rears its ugly head mostly when multiple users are connected. 

I've done the firmware upgrade and the power settings to Never, but neither have fixed it.

Changing the SSID name will not have any effect on the device maintaining an EVDO connection.  I believe that there are two possible issues;

- First, how the device handles switching between the wi-fi side and the EVDO side, it gets confused and drops the connection.

- Second, how the Verizon network handles the traffic flowing from the device when multiple devices are connected or present.  Even though, by networking rules, there should be no difference in the traffic as the hardware address should be the same for all traffic, I wonder if VZW is getting confused and killing the connection.

Anyhow, I've tried to have these discussions with VZW tech support but have never gotten to a high enough level of support where they understand the differences between computer networking and macaroni and cheese.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Actually, if you make any changes to the device as far as settings, if you don't either change the name of the network SSID for the broadcast or delete all pre-existing networks from your preferred list, then it's possible the computer's wireless radio may detect the configurations for the old network and not the new, so you will have disconnections, almost immediately and/or connect via WIFI, but not WWAN.

Most times it helps to begin as if you were just now setting up the configurations and that begins with changing the security.  Make sure the 802.11 mode is both g and b.  Security is WEP, set authentication, could also try channel 11 or automatic.  Make sure the encryption is one that allows for most standard devices to see the broadcast and connect.

Go to WWAN>Configuration> update the PRL, after that is finished activate the device again.

You also have to make sure you aren't using any  other connections such as home network, hughes net, etc.  that will cause issues.

If you are set for ICS, that will cause disconnects from all other computers when the host is changed, etc.  After the config. is done, allow the device to reset, if it doesn't then power it down and back on.  Connect to the NEW SSID and this may help you.  If not, connect with the VZ Access Manager and do ctrl+d, password: diagvzw then click field test and report back here.

0 Likes