Re: mifi data theft, fraud by verizon class action lawsuit 2012
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Interesting things going on. I'm just sitting back and waiting to see what happens before I say much. I got my December billing cycle started at midnight today, or 12:01 a.m. I am watching my usage like a hawk. So far, it's just normal.

I got my computer checked out as Ben, the Verizon technical representative, asked me to. He said no virus or program on it that could cause such usage overages. Cost me $125. I sent Ben an email telling him, but I haven't heard from him. Wade

0 Likes
mifi data theft, fraud by verizon class action lawsuit 2012
tytrav
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know someone had made a post/comment earlier today that they thought this thread has run it course and should be closed and I'm guessing that comment was removed by a moderator because it's not showing now.

I'm glad this thread is still here because I'm still having issues of being charged over data use charges and come here for updated information and advice.

I went from having 75% of data use to 91% in just over three hours and it can't be explained. VERY frustrating and it's starting to effect my job because I do my job at home and if this continues with the over charges I will not be able to afford to work from home much longer. I have until January 9th until my new billing cycle starts!! Not good!!

It is very interesting reading this thread how many people have had or having this same issue!!!!

android_wiz
Contributor - Level 1

See the real issue is you all have your computers on automatic update so when theres an update needed on your computer will update automatically in the background so its not FRAUD its your computer doing what its designed to do but your just now noticing it and you trying to make hype about it when you can go to your computer settings and turn automatic updates off because the updates take anywhere from half a gig to 6 gigs in the matter of hour nad a half so its very possible and the reason they cant tell you what it is is because they see data times and amount no exactly wat used it or web page was entered due to privacy reason so class action lawsuit is not need and maybe the thread should be closed because its a bunch of bull

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah, that's the trouble Xavier.

How do you account for those of us who have their updates turned off?

Or if my updates were turned back on by magic, it only happened once in months, and on that one time it used up over 20 GBs?????????

Read post 71.

Maybe that explains his figures, huh?

I am now on my fourth billing cycle day and have used half a GB. But overnight on Thanksgiving eve, I used more data than I had ever used in any of my previous months. And I had my computer checked to make sure it was working properly. It was. Cost me $125, but there were no Trojans, viruses, etc. found. And updates were turned off. Wade

Not applicable

RidgeRider wrote:

Yeah, that's the trouble Xavier.

How do you account for those of us who have their updates turned off?

So you say you NEVER do ANY updates even though some are actually critical? And you wonder why you have issues? Your PC is probably full of exploits. Which would explain the higher data usage.

0 Likes
tytrav
Enthusiast - Level 2

I work from home and checked with my IT dept about any possible updates since a few of you think that is the answer to the data over usage and was told there is no way any of the updates I receive ONCE a month would use that much data. I also wrote on an earlier post that I have worked at home for seven years and nothing has changed with my job to explain the over data usage. If you are tired of the things that are wrote on this thread then the simple answer is DON'T READ IT!!!!!

Also Xavier how do you have any idea how any of us have our computers set for updates?? In your own words, that is a bunch of bull....

0 Likes
Not applicable

tytrav wrote:

I work from home and checked with my IT dept about any possible updates since a few of you think that is the answer to the data over usage and was told there is no way any of the updates I receive ONCE a month would use that much data. I also wrote on an earlier post that I have worked at home for seven years and nothing has changed with my job to explain the over data usage. If you are tired of the things that are wrote on this thread then the simple answer is DON'T READ IT!!!!!

Also Xavier how do you have any idea how any of us have our computers set for updates?? In your own words, that is a bunch of bull....

If you don;t update your computer you are asking for trouble. I assume you have anti-virus on your computer. The best ones update DAILY. So you are saying you don't update anti-virus daily? Well that's asking for your PC to be infected.

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

I didn't say I didn't "NEVER do ANY" updates. I have my computer check if updates exist and notify me. I then determine if I want to update. With no exceptions, people that make their living with computers have told me that updates are almost never required. The last time I checked I had 23 very important updates, with a total of 93 MBs. Not hardly the 16.34 GBs in 1 day.

As I reported on another thread, for someone that doesn't have a dog in the hunt, you sure do take a lot of interest in these posts. Wade

tytrav
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes Brian I have a anti-virus program on my computer that is constantly updating. My fault for assuming when I wrote about monthly updates I didn't mention that did not mean my anti virus update.

0 Likes
Bluehouse
Enthusiast - Level 2

I give up on this or should say I really don't know who else to talk to.  The tech. person promised to call me back on 12/28 to talk about the usage issue but nothing happen.  We don't even use the computer at home anymore because I don't want to pay 120 dollar each month when I normally only paid 50 dollars a monthe before.  Few more months, our contract will be up and we are out of this. 

By the way, is Brian68 work for Verizon Wireless??  Just saying....

0 Likes