mifi usage
vicks
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just purchased the MIFI2200 and am wondering, at what point does usage start to accumulate?  When unit is turned on or only when computer is accessing it?  I guess another way to ask is, do you use your Gs if unit is resting idle.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: mifi usage
vicks
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
ryuronich

Vicks,

I have the same question as you do. We've had our MiFi for over a year and have just started getting overage charges. When I try to determine usage details, they are not accessible for a MiFi.   Unless someone has found another way, to sign up on MyVerizon for a MiFi account, is impossible....the temporary password is sent directly to the MiFi.  How would I begin to access it there?  I'm interesting in hearing what other's have found.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Anytime it sends or receives data.
0 Likes
vicks
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

You can view usage if you plug the device into the USB port and connect using the VZAccess Manager, then when you view the usage and disconnect then unplug it and go back to wireless.

The usage begins when data is transmitted.  Example:

You leave a page open with yahoo, there is data transmitted due to the video changes, etc.

You leave a google page open, no data since it's not having any changes, etc.

0 Likes
vicks
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

MyVerizon for a MiFi account, is impossible....the temporary password is sent directly to the MiFi.

The MiFi can access text messages if it is USB-connected to a Windows PC running VZAccess Manager.

I didn't want to install software for a WiFi only device, but you could visit a Verizon store and connect your MiFi to their VZAccess Manager.

If you don't read the text message within three days they will send the initial password via USMail.

This seems a particularly stupid way to deal with access to a simple account tool.  It's not banking, health, or anything else particularly important, and they want to use a verification that's not possible.

They should be able to verify you are connecting to their web site via a particular device by  checking your MAC address, or only allowing access via the network where MiFi enters their network.  Mediacom cable certainly can do that.

They could use a bunch of different verification methods, but the SMS message authentication is cast in stone somewhere.

--

Clarence

0 Likes