mobile broadband in AK
AKbound
I'm a part-time medical transcriptionist who works at home.  I will be traveling to Alaska for two months this summer and am looking into the possiblity of working on the road with an aircard.  I will be mostly in the Anchorage and Kenai area.  Will I be able to get the coverage I need to work from my laptop in Alaska?
0 Likes
Re: mobile broadband in AK
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Looking at the coverage map on this website it does show both those cities are covered with Broadband Access. So in theory, yes you should have coverage while there. In reality, you'll be roaming off a non-Verizon Wireless network so the reliability and speed might leave a lot to be desired.

If you already have a VZW Broadband Access card then all you have to do is update the PRL(preferred roaming list) on the device within VZ Access manager under "Help" and "Activate".

If you plan on opening a NEW Broandband Access line just for this trip I'd say you're better off finding a local carrier in Alaska. Or tethering your phone (if its capable) to your laptop and using the phone as a modem and avoiding a new contract altogether.

0 Likes