my foscam camera can send out motion detection emails but I can not figure out how to set up the hotspot to allow remote access
RalphF

my foscam camera can send out motion detection emails but I can not figure out how to set up the hotspot to allow remote access

0 Likes
Re: my foscam camera can send out motion detection emails but I can not figure out how to set up the hotspot to allow remote access
deloused
Master - Level 3

To be able to remote access an IP camera you would need to sign up for a business account and puchase a static IP address for your Verizon device.

0 Likes
Re: my foscam camera can send out motion detection emails but I can not figure out how to set up the hotspot to allow remote access
RalphF

I am trying to remotely access a camera linked to the AC791L using a

dynamic dns with No-IP. the camera is able to send an IP address to No-IP

(70.197.203.57) and will send motion alarms via email, but when I try to

access the camera with an app, it will not connect through the hotspot. I

have set up port forwarding listing the camera's IP address and the 8090

port. What am I missing? this worked with a Sprint hot spot that I replaced.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:02 PM, deloused <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Verizon (and Cricket as well for example) uses double NAT technology, and the dynamic IPs assigned to the AC791L (or any other type) are private and recycled and shared by multiple devices on the network. It's just like a LAN connection to the Internet, your jet pack does not directly connect to the Internet, it connects (a long with multiple other devices) to the Verizon server in your area which is behind their firewall and that is what has the public IP address and that then connects you to the Internet.

That is why remote access/port forwarding wouldn't work in this scenario, the incoming traffic can't route to you because it doesn't know where to go to find your camera as your address is private, and only the Verizon server connected to the public Internet can uniquely identify you.

Sprint uses a single NAT technology, and thier jetpacks wouldn't be behind a network firewall so that would work differently for remote access/port forwarding.

The static IPs that Verizon offers are public, so they would allow for remote access/port forwarding.

0 Likes
RalphF

I very much appreciate your response and the clear explanation of the

problem. I have also found a similar thread on the Foscam forum dated as

recently as 2014. I guess I will have to try to return the Verizon 4G

hotspot (a $500 static IP is out of the question) and go back to Sprint or

try to find another Cell carrier that would allow the operation of the

Foscam wifi camera. I need to be able to monitor a remote location for

security and thermostat control. Do you know if it is still possible to get

the job done with a Verizon 3G hotspot if I could find one?

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 9:21 AM, deloused <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're here for support. May we ask what type device you are using?
KleoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
RalphF

The device I purchased was a 4G AC791L to replace the Sprint hotspot. I got

the local Verizon store to extend the 2 week return policy by 2 days to

allow me to make another 300 mile trip (that will be 900 miles I have put

in related to the non operation of the AC791) to return the unit without

incurring future costs for a unit that does not work for me. *Can you tell

me if Verizon has a 3G hotspot option that would allow access using the

dynamic IP feature of my IP camera?*

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
andrey20

I have same problem and cannot log in ising DNS or IP

The only way so far I figured out to use verizon jetpack with Foscam it is through P2P UID that is available on the Iphone app "Foscam Viewer". And it works fine.

I wounder if anyone was able to connect foscam using DNS and use computer browser instead?

0 Likes