pc770 Won't Work Windows 7 x64
questorfla

Even after downloading and installing the newest VZ Access Manager, this modem will not work.

Since the drivers are "built in" as is the OLD VZ Access manager, it installs itself as soon as you plug in into the pci express slot.  Then about halfway thru you get a message saying that the drivers are "not digitally signed” and therefore cannot be used in Windows 7.

This is a never ending circle.  The reason I got this modem was because the one before it a UMxxx failed when I got a new laptop with Vista 64 so I got this one, I was told it would always be compatible.  A "Smart Modem".  Not so smart.

Even after installing the new VZ Access manager, the same thing happens.  The drivers are NOT digitally signed so Microsoft considers them "invalid".

The Verizon techs (I spoke with several) all denied everything.  None of them even know what being "digitally signed" meant and yet they claimed to be "top tier" tech support.  That is a pretty sad showing.   If there is a Verizon tech who reads this (or ANYONE who can help)  this modem was working fine in a laptop with Vista x64 and it kept working fine when that laptop was upgraded to Windows 7 x64.

BUT, when I got a new laptop with a clean copy of Windows 7 Professional, then it won't work.  VZ access manager comes up (whether I want it or not) trying to control my wifi and LAN but it will NOT run this modem.

Any help from anyone appreciated.  I am an IT tech with several years’ experience so I know all the usual tricks, uninstall, reboot, even going so far as to use group policy editor to tell Microsoft to "ignore" warnings of unsigned drivers.  Still does not work.  I have a feeling that somewhere in the SMART part of this modem it keeps try8ing to install OLD drivers and OLD VZ access manager and that is the problem but I can't figure out how to get around it and CAN'T get any help from Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: pc770 Won't Work Windows 7 x64
WyzrdX

I do not work for verizon nor would I but to help you find a way to install this and not have the same prob with the digital sig requirement go to http://www.howinthetech.com/disabling-digital-driver-signing-in-windows-7/

I used the same method to install a USB760 and it worked fine.

GL with it

0 Likes
Re: pc770 Won't Work Windows 7 x64
questorfla

Well, I think I got a tool called "bcd?" or something like that that was supposed to do that for me but who knows.  This is the modem that was supposed to be "always ready" as it has VZ access manager and the drivers installed on a smartchip inside.  The only thing is that now those drivers are outdated.  I think I need to flash the actual data in the chip but so far the "techs" at Verizon have no idea.  It seems they don't even remember that modem.  I think I DO remember yours though.  Is it the one that was made by a company that had a LOT of people upset since it had no 64 bit drivers?  It probably does now and I have considered reactivating it instead and sending it to her.  As soon as you plug in the pc770 it overwrites the drivers you downloaded and installed from Verizon.  I also found a firmware update for the modem which ought to work but so far it hasn't.  Everything fails due to the windows restrictions so I am really hoping that your solution works for my problem  .

0 Likes