sending emails on Imac
cograco

My recently acquired mifi2200 receives emails but does not send them.

Can anyone help?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: sending emails on Imac
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

cograco wrote:

Can anyone help?

It is likely that you have not set up the outgoing mail server settings on your computer correctly. Incoming settings are different from outgoing (SMTP) settings. Outgoing settings in particular are different when connected to your home or office network than they are connected to an external network such as the MiFi. You should check with your ISP on what the SMTP settings should be wne off network. At the least you will have to be "authenticated", meaning that you will have to enter a separate user id and password for the SMTP server, even if you didn't on yopur home network. There may also be different port settings.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
barnseller

New to this forum...but I am having same problem and pages will not load! I have good service. Our phones are 3G and my son has an I phone 4 the all load 10x fast than mac... do you know what it could be?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hey barnseller:

I saw you started a new forum with this same question.  

Here is what I posted on the other post with the same question:

This could be a multitude of things. When you are talking about the phone's ability to load data, are you hooking up your phone to the 5 Spot and surfing via Wi-Fi on the phone? Or are you using our 3G/4G network? What phones are you using? If you have the phone hooked up to the 5 Spot, and it can load data faster than the Mac can, it is probably the content of the page. Here's what I mean. Let's say you navigate on your Mac to www.cnn.com. Your Mac will bring up the desktop version of their website. It will have a whole bunch of videos, graphics, pop-up surveys, etc. When you navigate to www.cnn.com on a phone, CNN's server will automatically route you to the mobile version of their site based on your browser on the phone. The mobile version of the page has far less data to load than the desktop version. This is how you can perform the same action on both devices and see a big difference in speeds. I hope this answers your question. 

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

cograco wrote:

Can anyone help?

It is likely that you have not set up the outgoing mail server settings on your computer correctly. Incoming settings are different from outgoing (SMTP) settings. Outgoing settings in particular are different when connected to your home or office network than they are connected to an external network such as the MiFi. You should check with your ISP on what the SMTP settings should be wne off network. At the least you will have to be "authenticated", meaning that you will have to enter a separate user id and password for the SMTP server, even if you didn't on yopur home network. There may also be different port settings.

0 Likes