Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
um175 broadband connection drops after average of 5 mins
mr2muse

I've been using a pantech um175 for broadband access since April 09 but suddenly last month I started losing a connections after an average of 5 minutes connection time. I've called tech support 6 times and they've sent a new/refurbished device but nothing has changed.

does anyone have ANY idea on what could be wrong? this has been a royal pain.

It's not a signal prob. like I said, I've been using this since April and then suddenly in December it flakes out. I can't see any device conflicts. Tech support has had me download a new VZAccess manager, etc etc.

tech support seems stumped. any help would be appreciated.

-j

0 Likes
Re: um175 broadband connection drops after average of 5 mins
reallyniceguy
Novice
hmm tech support has not been able to help? Thats odd... I had that issue in my um150 and they told me there was a setting that was making it time out. Have you asked for a trouble ticket to be created? If your card has been replaced its not the card thats causing the problem. Have you tried a different pc?
0 Likes
bc_1984pt40

I have had similar problems for 2 yrs

1. Data techs can change some settings to keep modem from trying to switch between slow and fast networks. This helped but only got me to 60% usable when in a marginal area.

2. I then got a Wilson amplifier which gives me 5 bars and it got me to 95% usable when I am not on a sensitive server that does not like disconnects.

3. Since March, my speeds have decreased and disconnects have increased. Also, my Blackberry Perl Flip has started dropping calls after talking for 2 min. Both will then reconnect immediately.

4. Since the Wilson amp serves both systems to maintain good signal strength, the modem disconnects and phone disconnects make me think that there is a tower problem.

5. It appears that I may not be operating on a tower owned by Verizon as my yagie antenna points away from what they say is their antenna . It could be a tower that they rent space on and they say they may not be able to trouble shoot problems on a “roaming” tower.

6. I did look at the modem speed configuration and found it was set to 115200 kbps so I moved it to its maximum setting (30 min ago) and this seems to be helping. 

What have you found and what is your status?

0 Likes
gdw

I hate to see this thread get dropped. I am having a similar problem. I've had my um175 about a year. Went six months without a hitch. Every thing worked perfectly. Then my connection seemed to slow down a little. Signal strength dropped off quite a bit, to a point where it was switching to "national access". Called support, started ticket, and never heard anything back,  but in about a week or so, my problem went away. Mysteriously a friend of mine was having exactly the same problem with his "cricket" connection. He switched to Verizon, and now has a good  connection.  I think I was switched to different (rental?) tower for a while, and then got switched back.????

Sorry for the long history,,, now to the current problem which is similar to this thread.

I gave in to the nag to update to the new drivers. MISTAKE.   Now, when I start my computer(desktop), sometimes the modem is not found. NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE THE UPDATE. Also, all of a sudden, I lose my connection if I leave  the computer idle for a couple of hours. NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE THE UPDATE. I have uninstalled, updated with every driver package available till I am blue in the face. Even went back to the original drivers that came on the CD. All with no success. I tried running without "access manager",,,and I still get "dropped" after a short idle period.

I hope someone can shed some light on the problem.        TIA

0 Likes
hytrw1

gdw,

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Bill

0 Likes