Re: unlimited mobile broadband
Sirreel

jimfitzgerald wrote:

I think two phones, one with unlimited data, for $100 is quite reasonable.  That's $60 for the first phone, $10 for the second phone, and $30 for the unlimited data package.  Which part of this do you think is excessive?  By the way, Verizon lost money last quarter.  If you don't like Verizon, you should leave.  It is foolish to continue to pay for something you don't like.  And it's nobody's fault but your own where you live.

As before, I'm glad you believe you're getting a good deal. I've raised the question as to whether that belief is objectively reasonable considering that you might be handing over three times as much money as it costs Verizon to provide you with service. I admit it's hard to figure out the profit from the article I provided, but those numbers come straight from Verizon. I think a reasonable profit is expected but 300% is excessive. So, of your bill, I think the profit portion is excessive.

If you'd read the article you'd know Verizon didn't lose money last quarter.

I don't leave Verizon because it's the best option available to me. It doesn't mean I necessarily have to like it. It's only foolish to pay for something you don't like and don't need. For instance, I don't like buying medicine but I need to do it.

I reside at my current location because my wife's parents got sick and we took care of them in their home as they wished instead of letting them die lonely and painful deaths in a nursing home. We ended up having to sell our house and move in here because sometimes it takes a while for old folks to pass, especially when they're being cared for by someone who gives a **bleep** if they live or die. During that time my wife's employer was kind enough to fire her for missing work even though they offered her, and she was on, FMLA leave. Now we're stuck. So, yeah, I guess you're right, it's my own fault I'm living here.

0 Likes
Not applicable

What a company charges for it's products has nothing to do with their cost.  Prices are based on "what the market will bear" and the competetive environment.  Also, do you know how to read an income statement?  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=VZ  A company has to cover more than their variable cost.  Also, your personal situation is not Verizon's fault or concern. 

0 Likes
moreunhappiness

I too have what Verizon to sold me as an unlimited broadband account with an up to 1.4 Mbps download rate.  This is NOT the case whatsoever. Since when does unlimited mean you will be throttled to Kbps/s if you go over 5 gigabytes of usage? I do not care what letters this deceptive company says they sent out notifying their customers of the change. I demand what they sold me.  I referred MANY customers to Verizon wireless because of the availability of their service. That ends today. I can no longer say that Verizon Wireless is a company worth giving your money. We'll see how deceptive they are by whether or not this message even gets posted. Unlimited means Unlimited. I don't care if you decided you can make more money by limiting people. You sold me unlimited. I demand unlimited. Deliver what you sold. Deceptive practice should never be rewarded. Cancellation Date = The soonest appointment I can get to get another service here. You lost another customer. Get the hint yet? If you are dissatisfied with your service do as I am doing. Have the people you have referred call and express their concerns that they will be treated the way you have been treated. Someone has to make this bully get the hint. You deliver what you sell or the NSA will be your ONLY customer.

0 Likes
Sirreel

jimfitzgerald wrote:

What a company charges for it's products has nothing to do with their cost.  Prices are based on "what the market will bear" and the competetive environment.  Also, do you know how to read an income statement?  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=VZ  A company has to cover more than their variable cost.  Also, your personal situation is not Verizon's fault or concern. 

jimfitzgerald, you should consider changing your user id to sarahpalin. You only answer questions you think you know the answer to no matter what question is posed, and even then your answers are often wrong or entirely subjective.

For example, you passively accused me of somehow being at 'fault' for living where I do. I explain how I came to live at this location and you reply that my personal situation is not Verizon's fault or concern. That contention is obviously true, but so what?  Even true statements can't win arguments unless they pertain to the argument. You are simply not responding honestly and that suggests to me I should not waste my time arguing with you.

0 Likes
Not applicable

That's good, because all you have done in this thread is attack me because I said I am a satisfied Verizon customer.  At least I answered the OP's question and tried to help them.  I am not a victim of Verizon's advertising.  I am a supporter of Verizon because of my favorable experience with them and their products.  You next questioned my judgement as to the value I put on their service and product.  I explained that I believe $100 for two phones and unlimited data is a fair price.  You then tried to make a case that Verizon's profit margins are 300 percent.  I showed you that they are actually 3 percent.  If you don't like Verizon, that's fine, but don't attack me because I have had a good experience.  Why don't you just answer the OP's question and not attack me for posting my experience?

0 Likes
Not applicable
0 Likes
Doodle

I think I can answer the original poster's question. Depending on what you plan to use the Internet for, you should be very concerned about going over your plan's data usage. Verizon is notorious for being as much as 4 days behind on updating your usage amounts. If you call tech. support about the data usage, they tell you that you need to keep up with it by looking at the Usage pop up box. They will then contradict themselves by telling you that it is not accurate.

Someone on this forum will tell you to download a program that you have to pay for to monitor your usage that is your option. I personally think that since Verizon can be up-to-date on our usage when it comes bill time they should supply us with up-to-date usage amounts every day.

Unless they have started an unlimited plan in the past few days then no there is not an unlimited plan.

Unlike Mr. Fitzgerald some of us are not very happy with Verizon.

If you are a rural user, you could also have problems with your connection. If you get connected with EVOD then you should be fine. If you get a NationalAccess connection, you are going to be looking at problems. NationalAccess is slower than Dail-up and your usage amounts will go through the roof. I live 1500 feet (I measured it), from a Verizon tower that doesn't work half the time, that is when I have NationalAccess.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I agree you shouldn't need it, but NetMeter is free.  At least there is a version that is free that will give you what you need.

0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

To my knowledge, "unlimited mobile broadband" does not exist with Verizon......

0 Likes
bbpierce

I have not updated my wireless card for my laptop for that very reason.  If I go with a new plan, I will be limited.  I too live in the country with no wired phone and no cable access, yes to be close to my elderly mother, my dad just passed away.  I choose to live here just like Verizon chooses to limit my ability to get on the internet if I upgrade.  I will keep my old plan until they disconnect me I guess because I need to use my wireless connection a lot. 

0 Likes