usb 760 going slow
nalo

My main issue is that youtube and all videos in general take forever to load.  Every once in a while for a few days, the modem will work fine and the videos will load like they should, but that only lasts for a few days.  I have good signal strength and I never had this problem with my previos usb modem, now i'm regretting ever upgrading to the 760.

0 Likes
Re: usb 760 going slow
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

nalo wrote:

My main issue is that youtube and all videos in general take forever to load.  Every once in a while for a few days, the modem will work fine and the videos will load like they should, but that only lasts for a few days.  I have good signal strength and I never had this problem with my previos usb modem, now i'm regretting ever upgrading to the 760.

Hi.  I am sorry you are having issues with the USB modem.  I know that it can be frustrating if Youtube and other videos load slow.  I can certainly look into it for you.  I do see you stated you have a good signal strength and you have never had issues before. 

How long has this been going on?

Did you make any changes to your operating system?

Did you do any updates before this issues started happening?

Waiting on your reply :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: USB 760 going slow
nalo

Been having speed issues with the 760 for the last three months.  In terms of updates, since I've had the 760, I think that there have been two updates the computer has done when I go to shut it down, pretty standard stuff.  Other than that, haven't made any kind of changes to my computer.  Never had any problems when my computer updated and I had a sierra USB modem.

0 Likes
jmaher1023

I've been having the same problem with my USB 720, seems as though my bandwidth has been throttled down. I am only getting transefer rates up to(and no higher than) 25kb/s, where I used to get anywhere from 150-500kb/s transfer rates! I have excellent coverage where I live, 4 "bars" EV according to VZAM. I run a dual boot on my laptop (Sabayon Linux/Windows Vista), and have not done any major changes to my OS. I have tried the card with 2 other computers, and it's the same. You can rule out tower issues in my case, cuz I get much faster speeds from my HTC Incredible. This has only been going on for about the last 3 months for me also...any help is appreciated!

0 Likes
chinjing

i have the same problem i am looking for an answer too.  same story, usb 760 speeds download @ 100kbps or less.  my smartphone is much faster and 2 miles away in the vzw store the usb 760 works fine 1mbps download .  however very early in the morning the usb can get like half a mbps download speed. 

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Try updating the PRL on the Device.  Updating the PRL or preferred roaming list should improve the service on the device. 

To  update a PC card / USB modem it must be located within the Verizon Wireless network. 

1. Ensure that the PC card / USB modem is inserted into the computer.
    Note If using a notebook with an embedded module ensure the wireless radio is powered on.
  2. Open VZAccess Manager.
    Note From the Windowsdesktop navigate: Start > Programs (All Programs) > VZAccess Manager
    Note From the Macintoshdesktop navigate: Finder > Applications > VZAccess Manager
    Note From the Linuxdesktop navigate: Applications > Internet > VZAccess Manager
  3. From the VZAccess Manager top menu, navigate Options > Activation.
  4. Click OK.
0 Likes
Chrober3243

I too and one of the lucky ones who's service has seemed to decline to a fraction of what it once was.  I have had a USB 760 since opening my account over a year and a half ago .. but over the last 5 weeks my service has dropped to at or near dial-up speeds .. I have 4 bars on both signals and still have very very slow xfer rates.. 200kbs is a good one now.. where I was getting at least 800 or so 90% of the time .. Gone through everything I/ and Verizon tech support can think of . uninstalling .. reinstalling .. activation numerous times .. My trouble ticket was closed last night saying that I get an average of 500kbs .. I don't know here they get that info from .. and why would the absolute minimum now be OK .. I know that they are prepping for 4G in my area .. truck drivers say that the engineers say it will be available in six months ..  but right now .. I am scared to get 4G and not see it live up to its potential .. I am familiar with 4G .. I have it here at work .. and when they upgraded from 3g to 4g the difference was amazing .. this is not through Verizon .. so again ..  I will be calling Verizon Tech support when I get home and try to get someone to come actually use it .. then tell me that my am getting my $60 worth a month to wait and wait and wait for pages to load..    also .. since i did the Firmware update on my device .. if i leave it pluged into my computer when i turn it off and turn the comp back on .. it will take almost 5 minutes to get through boot up .. if i unplug it and restart the machine .. after i get the your computer failed to boot error .. it is back to the normal 45 second boot up .. anyone else had that kind of problem .. i have a custom build pc with an ASUS motherboard ..  this only happens when the device is left plugged in .. which never happend until i did the firmware update on my device.

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Try using a different USB Port and  re-checking the power settings for the port on the PC.  

0 Likes
DifferentJoseph

I've seen intermittently awful performance at my primary location of use on my USB760 as well as tethered through my Palm Centro for the entire two years I've been using Verizon's wireless data service.

When it works (about 50% of the time): >1Mbps down on the USB dongle, ~600kbps down on the Centro (bluetooth capped i think). Latency in the 200ms range. It's pretty good.

When it doesn't work (the other 50% of the time): <20kbps (20 kilo bits per second, 1995 modem speed) down on either device. It's unusable unless 5 minute page loads are acceptable. I've had to live with that at times.

One "solution": Turn off CDMA and use 1x (^D in VZAccess manager, password 'diagvzw', go to Settings). Generally I get a clean 1x signal and can scrape along at 150kbps. Occasionally but rarely I've seen 1x go bad.

The problem appears to be that when the network in my area is in its "mood," 5-10% of the TCP packets are dropped or reordered. I still have a good signal and I can still get high burst throughput, for 5-10 seconds, but the lost packets kill throughput, especially when there is a lot of buffering in the network (which there is; networks are way overbuffered nowadays). If the network isn't running well I will see a bunch of hasty retransmits, dup acks, etc., in the TCP stream. It just doesn't function. You can send data that will fit into a packet or three, like a well designed web page (Google News loads well even if the network is at its worse) but data that requires some kind of a stream can't flow over a network that bad.

One thing that can improve the situation is to turn off PPP header compression. Missing or out of sequence packets will clobber throughput if header compression is turned on, because the previous header is needed to decode/uncompress the current one, and you essentially lose every packet after one goes missing. I would advise people to turn header compression off on all networks that have significant loss or reordering problems even if only intermittently. This helped me a LOT at times, but not always.

Verizon has answered my emails on the subject (every few weeks or months for two years now) but has never provided any fix nor has service ever improved. I've been told things like "well, sometimes hackers abuse the network" but of course that doesn't get me any compensation for my poor QoS. I've put up with it because VZW is decent everywhere else (I had excellent service in Fairbanks, Alaska!) and AT&T is worse, but with the iPhone coming, I think the network's probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

We apologize about the problems with  your service.  If you have already, tried the steps above and numerous other steps we can only recommend contacting our customer care department to have a technician file a trouble ticket for the issues you are experiencing. 

0 Likes