usb760 and VZAccess manager
wazzup

I have a usb760 and it works great on my laptop. I went to install it on my son's laptop and it doesn't work. I called Verizon and they sent me the cd to install the VZAccess manager, still did not work. Downloaded it from Verizon's website and still does not work. Here is what happens: it downloads the VZAccess manager and when I insert the Verizon usb760 it says, no device available!! Would someone please help me? My son has down's syndrome and we just bought him a new hp laptop with windows 7 and he wants to use it!! Please try to help me. When I open up network and sharing the Verizon wireless -VZaccess does not even show up.

0 Likes
Re: usb760 and VZAccess manager
wazzup

I really did think that someone would try to help!!!

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

Try reinstalling VZ Access in Safe mode,

Restart your computer in safe mode  by hitting the F8 key as soon as it boots up , choose Safe Mode with Networking.

If you still have problems get a router so you and your son can use the connection at the same time.  Its only like $65 bucks

http://www.3gstore.com/ctr350

0 Likes
Not applicable

A CradlePoint router is your best solution.  I got mine here...

http://moremobileinternet.com/

0 Likes
Scotsin

I just thought  I would add my two cents in. I had the exact problem on my computer. I found it to be something that I caused my self. When most nerds get a computer they turn off services that they don't use any more. One of them being Telephony. I mean who uses that any more. Well I spent like 3 hours on the phone with Verizon, who was no help other than to mention that It works like a dial up connection. that's when the light bulb went off. Get to your services. Services.msc or something like that, and make sure the service called Telephony is turn on. Let me know if that works. I bet your son turned it off and didn't even remember.

"Amateurs built the ark, Professionals built the titanic"

0 Likes
kinsey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jim,

I have a Cradlepoint but still needed to go through VZ - how do I bypass that.  I am running windows 7 and after 2 weeks it stopped working - get access denied etc etc - no question its a windows 7 issue because am running fine right now on an old xp system using USB760.  Since I can't get to internet on my pc I can't download any new versions of anything.  You can email me privately if  you want - {edited for privacy}.  I am really getting desperate.  Verizon was useless and I suspect MS won't be much better if I could ever figure out out to contact MS.  Thanks.  Sharon

0 Likes
Pattrish

In less than a year, I'm now on my 3rd (yes, 3rd) replacement USB760.  I keep running into what I believe are software issues.  We have 2 of these devices.  My husband also has one.  He's using Version 6.9.8 (2132a) and gets 3 to 4 bars Broadband consistently (we're 1 mile from a tower).  I've warned him NOT to download any Access Manager software upgrades.

To summarize all my problems, it basically comes down to this.  I'll get great access, then BAM!, it drops to barely 1 bar National access never to return.  All of this started with software upgrades.  Recently, I installed my husbands software (after a thorough uninstall including registry cleanup).  I got 4 bars, then BAM, once again I'm back to 1 bar National. 

Prior to this, I had gotten a replacement device and everything was working fine (4 bars Broadband) until VZAM said there was a Wi-Fi update.  I allowed it and it was back to square one again.

I've talked to technical support until I'm blue in the face.  Supposedly, they're following up on this issue, but it's now been two weeks on this latest call.  They don't give you a case #, so if I call again, I have to start all over...grumble, grumble, grumble.

Prior to this crash, I had bought a CradlePoint router intending to use the USB760 throughout our home (I have more than one computer).  But, with the VZAM software problems, I haven't even opened the box.

My question is...and I've read differing posts...do I have to install VZAM to use this router or will the USB760 work on the router without the software?

0 Likes
kinsey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well thanks to Jim's post on using the Cradlepoint I finally figured it out.  We had already purchased a Cradlepoint but I was having the same issues with VZAccess.  Until I figured out you bypass VZAccess when you use Cradlepoiont.  So - I strongly suggest investing the $100 or less - get the Cradlepoint and trash VZAccess.  Things are working beautifully now.  That is one lousy piece of software - I hope the Cradlepoint folks send Verizon a thank you note for driving their sales way up for surely anyone who uses a Verizon wireless device will need a Cradlepoint. 

Sharon

0 Likes
Not applicable
I'm glad the CradlePoint router solved your problem. For the person asking about Windows 7, sorry, I have no idea about Windows 7. You do not use the Verizon Access Manager software when using the router. You do not need to install the software on your computer. I actually have two CradlePoint routers. I have the MBR1000 that I use at home with Charter and the USB760. I have the CTR 350 model that I use in the car and when I travel, etc. Both work great with the USB760. I got my routers here: http://moremobileinternet.com/
0 Likes
Pattrish

Thanks very much for the info.   Guess I'll crack open the Cradlepoint (MRB1200) and see what it's all about.

But, what is "Charter"?

Also, will home networks work...such as printer sharing?

Again, thanks.

0 Likes