why isnt there an unlimited plan?
masonjames87

so i have a black berry storm. with an unlimited plan. its like 40 a month for that. but then i have a netbook and for only 5gb its 60 a month. i first started with a 250 mb plan which pretty much lasted the first day. and its 40 bucks. so how can you jump from 250 mb to 5gb thats a big mb diff. the 250 plan should be 20 the 5gb plan should be 40 and you should put in an unlimited plan for 60. maybe more ppl would wanna get it seeing that anyother way to get internet there isnt really a limit on it. why put limits its **bleep**. i download lots of music and watch movies from net flix i need more gbs. help me out here verizon. ive been withyou for years and have all my family on my plan

0 Likes
Re: why isnt there an unlimited plan?
larrytheG

funny!  hey what part of "for profit" do you not understand guy? Verizon is not selling GB to make customers happy near as much as they are to make their shareholder happy , eh?

I just got notice from Comcast in a clever way. They notified me of the availability of a "new" usage meter.. right?  So I decide to read through the notice. Well, it turns out they are establishing usage limits - the same approach used by Verizon and many other providers of data services.  Now.. it's not near so onerous as the Verizon limits - it's 250 GB - but still - the concept is the same. 

but all of these services - if they did not put limits on them - the usage would more than likely overwhelm their available infrastructure resources - and that would result in the service becoming not reliable.. more dropped connections, slower speeds, etc.

so limits are not only for profit but also to provide a reliable service that keeps customers happy and staying customers.

0 Likes
ChampaignTel

PROFIT??? Are you serious? Have you not heard of the problems that AT&T is having with all of their iPhone users? The data network isn't made for you to be watching TV across it.... yet. By having tons of users streaming large amounts of data to these aircards it is only slowing down the network for their other users. All companies are going to have to go to this type of setup sooner or later. It was only a few years ago they had it in there that you couldn't use it for server purposes. Now people are using just as much data as servers just to fulfill their addiction to the internet. AT&T is having people use over 15 GB on their iPhone. Why should my email get slowed down or my light internet searching be slowed because you want to watch TV on your phone? Your phone is unlimited because 85% of people use their PDA for what it was meant for... email and web surfing. When you do watch video it has a much lower resolution and smaller display size so the stream is less. On a computer you can watch videos in all it's HD glory.. streaming tons of data. As a user I completely agree with companies going to this type of a method. I'm a huge gamer. I pay extra to Comcast to have an uninterrupted game play.  I don't demand them to give me more for paying less. If I wanted to be a light internet surfer I would want to pay less and get good speed for what I do. It is what it is.

0 Likes
Deamorei
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ ChampaignTel- Verizons supply of bandwidth isn't my problem its there own. This is just another company that is dragging us behind countries like South Korea, Japan etc, etc who actually invested in there network to the point that supply is greater then demand. I dont' know why people keep lying to themselves about wireless communication here in the US. Wireless broadband is the future, it has been for quite some time.

My friend has a droid through Verizon who gets unlimited data so its out there but they descriminate against certain access points like us with WIFI Hotspots. The issue with bandwidth hogs is in the over populated cities with underpowered networks.. IE iphone issues.  I mean who really needs a data plan on a phone used for talking and texting? Verizon would lose a good chunk of money if us rural users had access to wired but we don't so we get raked with measley 5GB per month caps. Why does Verizon do it.? Because they can.

All in all most reports show that 1gb of data costs around 1 buck if not less, not 11 bucks like I'm charged for use. Buyer beware they are pushing to soak us with metered billing. I"m fine with that as long as they charge a fair price you know 1-2 bucks a GB not 10+ like they do now..

0 Likes
G-Man

I'd be happy ifthey would roll-over the MB for a few months.  I only use my MiFi when I travel.  I might not use if for months sometimes.

0 Likes
Hemingray
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm a pretty heavy surfer/user myself, yet I never seem to exceed 500MB a month. (Although I don't do alot of downloading like many do, and I myself have the 5GB limit)

0 Likes
Not applicable

Say what you will, but Verizon has a finite amount of broadband capacity available.  They have to decide how to sell it to maximize their profits.  Afterall, profits is why they exist.  Phones have an unlimited plan because, evidently, Verizon has decided most phone users only consume a "reasonable" amount of data.  Computers are limited to 5 GB of usage because, if they allowed unlimited usage, broadband hogs would use up all the capacity downloading movies and music, etc.  I have a Motorola Droid with unlimited data for $29.99 and a USB760 with 5 GB of data for $59.99.  I only use the USB760 every few months when I travel, but I am willing to pay for it to have internet access on my laptop where and when I want it.  I have unlimited internet at home with Charter cable.  I pay a lot for internet access and don't **bleep** about it because I understand that these businesses exist to make a profit.  By the way, how a company prices their products has NOTHING to do with their costs.  It's based on supply and demand, competition, and "what the market will bear."

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
I really wish there was unlimited data just like with alltel but its just a dream that will never come true. Maybe with 4g they will have unlimited 3g plans? I didnt really use over 5 gigs with alltel but still, you never know.. that freedom i guess?
0 Likes
Deamorei
Enthusiast - Level 2

For $60.00 a month they wouldn't be losing any money if they capped the user limit to 50GB a month. They would still profit but not as much as they are right now. If you offer unlimted data to smart phone users and not us MIFI home users, you could probably file a descrimination law suit for that reason alone. Data usage is data usage regardless of device. If you want to penalize a bandwidth hog or abuser then by all means do. I have 1 year left on my Verizon contract. I love the service and have not once went over. I'm not allowed to use the web like i used to be on slower speed connections. Centennial had unlimited wireless which was low end DSL speeds. I get 2mbps on my MIFI.

Every month we are near the cap. We don't download much. We play a few facebook games and surf, check email and occasional fairly small downloads. This has been our standard net habits for the past many years. In determining fair price you must also determing competitive price. There is no competition as all the big names have locked it at 5GB because its simply a CASH cow. Are we getting a value for our money. Not really because in all actuality we are being price gouged do to lack of competition.

Droid users tether for unlimited data use and well a MIFI-2200 is in essence a tether device. So the argument that phone users wont be bandwidth hogs doesn't stand up. They get the same speeds as i do. Again most of the problem is an overtasked network. Verizon or pretty much any American internet service is miles behind the rest of the world because they invested in their nations infrastructure while our companies invest in their own selfish greed. I look forward to the day when Verizon/AT&T gets broken up just like Microsoft did.  AT&T learned somethings from their breakup but they too have a short memory.

I get free TV via DTV and it works perfectly. One day national broadband service will probably be pretty much the same low cost and very fast without a company label..We can hope.

0 Likes
There used to be one! I still have it.
bobfireman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, there WAS an unlimited plan some years ago.  I got my first broadband card 5 or 6 years ago, and at that time the $60/month plan was indeed unlimited (just like on a smartphone).  Since I have constantly renewed my contract, I have been "grandfathered" in, and still get unlimited broadband on my device (as verified by my billing statement and Verizon customer service).

Having said that, I use my broadband only at work (the IT guys have our system so locked down, we can hardly look at anything, so it' gets heavy usage, including downloading of several 45 minute long podcasts etc, and I have never gone over 5gb in a month

0 Likes