wireless disconnect
rockoone
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wireless internet card is driving me crazy. I have an HP laptop with a usb720 wireless internet card that constantly disconnects. Its not the power setting as ive changed them on the laptop to high performance. Laptop runs Vista operating system. Ive sat and watched the verizon application run and noticed that every time the device disconnects it repeatedly goes into a dormant state. This happens wwhether im idle or actively involved on a web page. You would think if i were connected to a game page that continually changed that the device would not go dormant yet it does. The problem doesnt happen every day but does happen most days. It doesnt disconnect every time it goes dormant but the disconnect does happen when it is in dormant mode, or after i rcv an email, or even after i receive an instant message on yahoo messenger. I would love to hear if anyone has a fix for this. Ive also noticed when it disconnects the wireless modem will turn off, light stops blinking, and the operating system starts looking for it. If i unplug the modem and plug it back in the computer can then see it and start the connection process again. Ive moved te moden to different usb ports, no chance. Even tried using the modem with and without the usb extension, still the same. Im at the point im gonna try US Cellular. My son works for them and i can get a better deal.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: wireless disconnect
rockoone
Enthusiast - Level 3
I would have to call this one all but solved for me. Ive only had a few disconnects in the last week and they were not from the modem powering off, was due to poor signal strength at the time. Ill continue to monitor and post any changes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

Try this link

http://search.vzw.com/?q=vista&p=2849&ss=support&submit=%3CSPAN%3E%3CSPAN%3ESearch%3C%2FSPAN%3E%3C%2...

and see if any of these troubleshooting ideas help.  Without having you on the phone to trouble shoot it is difficult to figure out whats going on.  Please let us know if any of these solutions work and if they don't then give us a call:

Dial *611 from your cell phone
(800) 922-0204
Monday-Sunday 6am-11pm

Thanks!

Message Edited by Michele-VZW on 06-10-2009 08:28 AM
0 Likes
sin1505

With Vzam open hit Ctrl+T to open a terminal window. In the terminal window type at$qcmipep=1 and hit enter. then try reconnecting and see if the problem persist's. If not you may need to call tech support so they can adjust some setting's.

800-922-0204

0 Likes
beanburrito

wow, your experiencing exactly the same problems I have. I have a near new dell, I have had it looked at by a PC repair shop that gave it a clean bill of health but I get the same disconnects and on top of that I get very poor performance.

I have been on and off the phone with Verizon since last sept. yes I said LAST SEPT! I have made over 25 calls to customer service and I have traded in my card 3 times because a tech said I needed a new one. also I pay for "unlimited" wireless and just recently forund out I don;t have "unlimited" wireless but I have been paying top dollar for more then 3 years. I have not been contacted in regards to a refund that I read should have been coming.

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2
Has anyone working with you on the Vista end of this problem?  I tend to think this is a problem with security settings in Vista but unless I know what all you've done so far I don't want to jump to conclusions.  If you've gone through 3 cards that leans me more towards a computer issue rather then the card.  Lets see what we can figure out :smileyhappy: and go from there.
0 Likes
rockoone
Enthusiast - Level 3
I started digging around yesterday in the device manager, access through the control panel, systems and the tasks youll find device manager. I clicked on the Novatel modem and under Power Management found this nice little check mark next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I unchecked it and have had 1 full day of no disconnects. Ill advise if that changes
0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2
Awesome!  Please let us know if this continues to solve the problem!!
0 Likes
rockoone
Enthusiast - Level 3
I would have to call this one all but solved for me. Ive only had a few disconnects in the last week and they were not from the modem powering off, was due to poor signal strength at the time. Ill continue to monitor and post any changes.
0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2
Would you mind marking the thread solved so others will refer to this thread for answers?
0 Likes
myboyjack
I am having a disconnect problem when I access the Send/Receive on my Windows Live email...I can receive email okay when I start up the email, but it will disconnect my connection & I get an error box like it does not recognize my pop server to send out mail.  What is happening? Otherwise I love my broadband card (UM175VM)
0 Likes