work-around for Alltel um150 on Snow Leopard
joephyditz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just bought a new iMac with Snow Leopard preinstalled.  I downloaded the Alltel QuickLink Mobile access manager for the um150 usb broadband wireless device.  When I tried to connect, a window came up that asked for the serial number, but it would not accept it.  VZ email support told me that they currently have NO usb devices that are compatible with Snow Leopard, but they would have one "in the near future."  However, their VZAccess support page lists the um150 as one of 4 supported usb devices, with an update to VZAccess.  Since my device is an Alltel um150, my guess is that it is not compatible with VZAccess.  Does anyone know of a work-around that will make my device work with Verizon?  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: work-around for Alltel um150 on Snow Leopard
joephyditz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Butthead!

Just to see what would happen - what did I have to lose anyway - I went to www.zvam.com and started the download.   Much to my surprize, it indicated that the (Alltel) um150 was a compatible device.  So I downloaded the vz driver to find that it setup, reconfigured my device to work on the vz network, and connected.  Success!  Next I downloaded the Snow Leopard driver to a disc, put it in my iMac and, again, much to my surprize, it loaded, setup, reconfigured the um150 and connected.  I now have vz broadband on my iMac!

There is a however, however.  I have been unable to bring up the VZAccess Manager window since setup.  During setup I checked for connect on startup.  All I get when I click on the VZAccess icon is the setup wizard and the icon for the setup wizard.  When I follow it, it ends up telling me that no device is found, when the device is plugged in and connected.  I also updated the driver and it indicates I have the current update.  I am going to post this in a separate post, so if you have any ideas, please go to that post.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2

try going to www.vzam.net for the latest version. Are you on an Alltel plan or a VZW plan? Also, the issue might be Snow Leopard and not the service itself.

Mac users tend to take for granted that things just work, but apple has been making alot of under the hood changes to their OS and you might have to wait for a software update while the companies play catch up.

0 Likes
joephyditz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the input.  While the problem may well be with Snow Leopard, VZAccess Support lists um150 as a device supported by Snow Leaopard.  Verizon has updated my contract (or is it "downdated") from the original unlimited to 5gb and, at the same time has kept the access manager QuickLink Mobile.  If there are no work-arounds I suppose I'll just have to use my 7 year old Dell until I can upgrade to a new device, though I'd rather not have to commit to a 2 year contract.

0 Likes
joephyditz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Butthead!

Just to see what would happen - what did I have to lose anyway - I went to www.zvam.com and started the download.   Much to my surprize, it indicated that the (Alltel) um150 was a compatible device.  So I downloaded the vz driver to find that it setup, reconfigured my device to work on the vz network, and connected.  Success!  Next I downloaded the Snow Leopard driver to a disc, put it in my iMac and, again, much to my surprize, it loaded, setup, reconfigured the um150 and connected.  I now have vz broadband on my iMac!

There is a however, however.  I have been unable to bring up the VZAccess Manager window since setup.  During setup I checked for connect on startup.  All I get when I click on the VZAccess icon is the setup wizard and the icon for the setup wizard.  When I follow it, it ends up telling me that no device is found, when the device is plugged in and connected.  I also updated the driver and it indicates I have the current update.  I am going to post this in a separate post, so if you have any ideas, please go to that post.

Thanks again!

0 Likes