Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu

Give Thanks For World Gratitude Day

Not applicable
1 0 965

The celebration of World Gratitude Day allows both individuals and organizations to celebrate the broad meaning of gratitude in a variety of ways. From big gestures to small tokens of appreciation, anyone and everyone can particulate! The celebration got its start in Hawaii in 1965 when an international gathering decided that it would be a good idea to have one day per year to formally express gratitude and appreciation for the many wonderful things to be found in the world. Following the meeting in Hawaii, many attendees marked Gratitude Day on September 21 1966, when back in their own countries. Ever since then, the number of people celebrating Gratitude Day across the world has grown and grown.

The awareness of the benefits of having time in one’s life for gratitude, appreciation and positive reflection have become increasingly apparent. The hope of the founders of Gratitude Day is that by taking time, one day a year, to reflect on the many amazing things we have in our lives, it would positively impact our well-being and make us happier, more contented people. But it is easy to talk about the benefits of being grateful, but how do we put it into practice? Well, I have some suggestions that anyone can do on a regular basis:

1. Keep a gratitude journal.

Give yourself a few minutes to regularly think about what you are thankful for and write it down. This can be as easy as writing down three things a day!

2. Take photos of those things in your life you appreciate

Since I always have my phone with me, I can take a quick picture of the things and people I appreciate. Although, to be honest, I'm usually taking pictures of my dog!

3. Let significant others in your life know that you’re thankful for them and why.

Try to make the time to call someone today and let them know that you're thinking of them and how grateful you are to have them in your life.

I can't write a blog post about World Gratitude Day without thanking some very important people, the Verizon Community Super Users. The men and women who make up the Smart Squad and Community Leaders collectively are some of the brightest people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Their consistent dedication to the Community has helped shape this forum into a helpful place where hundreds of people visit daily to get answers to their questions. So if any of them are reading this, please know that myself and the rest of the Verizon Community Team are grateful to have you!

So now that you're aware of the significance of today, what are you grateful for? Let us know how you plan on showing it!