Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!

National Hispanic Heritage Month

yarelim_vzw
Verizon Employee
1 2 981

hispaniccelebrate1.jpgThrough this blend of mixed heritage, we have become so fortunate to be able to experience a piece of everyone’s culture. Being Hispanic, I am grateful to be able to experience my roots here at home.  Plus in Chicago, where I live, there are so many communities of different ethnicities that celebrate their own cultures and customs.  In fact, Chicago is home to many communities like the Ukrainian Village, Greektown, Little Italy, Little Vietnam, and Lithuanian Plaza, and La Villita, just to name a few!

When someone is able to visit a new community, they are able to experience those countries’ culture. I’m always amazed at just how unique they are and how they differ from my own background.  However, the best way to experience something new is by enjoying the native food. If I ever want a delicious gyro, I go to Greektown.  If I’m feeling like Chinese food, then I’m off to China Town.  The city of Chicago makes a great effort to celebrate the different cultures and it is truly something great to be a part of.  Our diversity us brings closer and it is one of the many reasons why we celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month.  National Hispanic Heritage Month came about in 1968 by President Lyndon B. Johnson, so that Americans could honor the Spanish Community for their culture and contributions to the US.

Many events are planned all over the US to observe National Hispanic Heritage Month.  This past weekend, Chicago hosted a few parades in the Hispanic dominate communities.  One of them was La Villita, which celebrates Mexico’s Independence Day, celebrated on September 16. Spectators had a chance to celebrate by admiring the beautifully decorated floats, horses and tons of live music.

Did you celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month?

If so, what events happened or are happening in your area?

If you’re not Hispanic, tell me about your heritage and what it means to you!

2 Comments
About the Author
I have been with VZW for the past 5 years and loving every moment. I spent 2 years working with our Social Media Team and now have the privilege to work with the Community.