Cannot Log in to this forum with Firefox
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

It is impossible to log in to this forum with Firefox.  I find it amazing that Vz has created an IE only forum.

Also, on IE, I get warning signals that there are too many scripts running on these forum pages and I am prompted to stop them.

And every page on this forum takes way too long to load.

VERY BAD SHOW from Verizon.  Badly done.

0 Likes
23 Replies
Justin46
Legend

@glnz wrote:

Here is some more information that Vz or Lithium could use to fix this forum:

At bottom below is a screenshot of Firefox - NoScript error console messages -- just a sample portion of a long list of error messages that is generated by attempt to log in on Firefox.  Looks like there are big technical problems with this forum.

In addition to the add-ons above, my security is:

Avast Free AV

AdAware Free

SpywareBlaster - totally passive protection of Hosts file

Spybot S&D - same

NoScript

Better Privacy -- but that does nothing until I close Firefox

Note that I also cannot log on to this forum from my PC at work, which does NOT have the first four of these security programs.  (It does have NoScript and Better Privacy in Firefox.)

If this forum is incompatible with my add-ons in my preceding post and security above -- all of which are typical and advisable -- then Vz and Lithium should fix the undertlying problem.

Justin - please stop shoveling the excuses.

Let me get this straight: you are willing to log into the Verizon site using I guess IE, apparently without a script blocker, exposing your computer to the same risky scripts you apparently are so worried about that you use NoScript in Firefox? And because you can log in using IE and can't using Firefox with NoScript, the Verizon site is broken? Wow, what a leap in logic......

I used NoScript for a while, it was so intrusive on many, many websites that I quit using it (I had to, virtually nothing worked correctly unless I specifically allowed each of the sites to run, and that defeats the purpose of having a tool like NoScript). Disable NoScript and I bet all will work.

NoScript is a greatly overrated tool IMO. And just because you choose to use a tool that you know prevents you from logging into the Verizon sites is your choice, no fault of Verizon's, and clearly most users of Firefox have absolutely no problem logging in or there would be hundreds or more likely many thousands of complaints.

Oh, neither IE or Google Chrome object to anything on the Verizon sites for me.

You are the one doing the shoveling and it's not excuses.....

Keller, TX 76248

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Justin -

NoScript is one of the all-time great tools for increasing security while browsing.  Your defense is plain wrong and bad advice for the public.

This forum is the ONLY place on the web that does not work with Firefox + NoScript.  I have NEVER had a problem with NoScript except on this website.

Vz and Lithium are just plain behind the curve.  An ISP like Vz should be ahead of the curve on all issues like this, and it just is not.  Fail !

If you think I am the only one complaining, consider the logical problem -- those who cannot log on cannot voice their annoyance.  You don't know about them because they have not been stubborn enough to bother.

Most Vz DSL users just accept the fact that Vz is second-rate as an ISP.  This forum, its limited email capability and incredibly clunky email website, its hideous "wall gardened" starting point on its modem-routers, and its slow standard DSL service.  My Korean inlaws' internet service is literally 33 times faster than Vz DSL, for almost the same monthly cost, and they've had it over three years now.

Bad show.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@glnz wrote:

Justin -

NoScript is one of the all-time great tools for increasing security while browsing.  Your defense is plain wrong and bad advice for the public.

This forum is the ONLY place on the web that does not work with Firefox + NoScript.  I have NEVER had a problem with NoScript except on this website.

Vz and Lithium are just plain behind the curve.  An ISP like Vz should be ahead of the curve on all issues like this, and it just is not.  Fail !

If you think I am the only one complaining, consider the logical problem -- those who cannot log on cannot voice their annoyance.  You don't know about them because they have not been stubborn enough to bother.

Most Vz DSL users just accept the fact that Vz is second-rate as an ISP.  This forum, its limited email capability and incredibly clunky email website, its hideous "wall gardened" starting point on its modem-routers, and its slow standard DSL service.  My Korean inlaws' internet service is literally 33 times faster than Vz DSL, for almost the same monthly cost, and they've had it over three years now.

Bad show.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. You and I certainly have a different view of NoScript (and Verizon), my experience with NoScript was absolutely counter to yours - very few websites would actually work with NoScript active. I tried, I really tried, to work with it, but finally gave up, it just made using the web a miserable experience. I will never try it again (and knocking on wood, I have yet to be infected with anything since I started using the web back in the mid-90s....I am not sure how long I have been using Firefox, but it is for quite a few years, over many releases, no infections without NoScript).

Based on my own personal experience I could never, ever in good conscience recommend NoScript to anybody that was not a "geek" and even then it would be with some strong warnings up front. I am not giving advice to the "public" here, I am simply trying to point out to you where I think your problem is; you just don't want to accept my advice, and that is fine.

I suspect that people who are using Firefox are somewhat more sophisticated internet users that those who just use IE, and if they really did have problems accessing the Verizon sites using Firefox they would try another browser, and when they got in, they would complain. Sure there have been a few complaints about accessing Verizon sites using Firefox; I have answered a number of them to try without any add-ons, and bingo, the problem generally disappears (not referring specifically to NoScript here, just add-ons in general).

As to your other negative comments on Verizon as an ISP, well, I don't see those either. I use a PC based email client so the webmail interface is irrelevant to me (and I don't see why anybody wants to trust their email to any ISPs severs 24/7 anyway), I don't have a clue what you mean when you refer to Verizon's "wall gardened" modem-routers (I have FiOS 25/25 service, great speed and reliability), and I truely don't see what speed your inlaws have (I guess in Korea) have to do with anything related to Verizon. 

As I said previously, Verizon makes plenty of mistakes, but this is not one of them - IMO.

Keller, TX 76248