Can I use a Local SIM card in my iPhone 11 when traveling in Italy
SayHey
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will be traveling to Italy with my #Apple iPhone 11. I have had customer service unlock the phone so that I can use it with a local SIM card.  I’ve researched local SIM cards in Italy and they appear to all be GSM cards.  Will they work in my iPhone 1

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use a Local SIM card in my iPhone 11 when traveling in Italy
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yes, you will be able to use a local SIM in your iPhone 11 while in Italy if the device is unlocked. If you have other questions, please let us know. 

-Joey

View solution in original post

Derf_Jones
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been looking into similar needs for an upcoming trip. Look at using an eSIM through Airalo or a similar app.

I tried it here in the US, purchasing a 7 day eSIM. It seemed to work just fine. The iPhone allows you to have an eSIM and Physical SIM active at the same time. You can turn off roaming on one line and just use the Italian/European line.

If you really want to be sure, you could remove the Physical SIM to make sure it wasn't connecting and running up roaming on Verizon.

SayHey
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’ve done some more research and it now appears that my iPhone 11 will work on CDMA and GSM networks.  According to the technical specifications the iPhone 11 model A2111 it has antennas for GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz). So, my unlocked iPhone 11 should work in Italy on their GSM network with a local SIM card. Keep fingers crossed. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yes, you will be able to use a local SIM in your iPhone 11 while in Italy if the device is unlocked. If you have other questions, please let us know. 

-Joey

jabbu12
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes you can use your local SIM cards in ITALY. As all countries don't restricts the use of local SIMs.

Mobile SIM card Bundels

Tags (2)
0 Likes
manson_wood

Off course, you can use local Sim Cards. I am a balloon delivery service provider in New Jersey and I use their local Sim Cards as I am basically from Pakistan and doing a job there. There is no country that restricts to use of Sim Cards. 🙂 

0 Likes
Winerover
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
johash
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, your unlocked iPhone 11 should work with a local GSM SIM card in Italy.

The iPhone 11 is a global phone and is compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks. However, you should check the frequency bands supported by your iPhone to ensure that it is compatible with the network frequencies used by the local carrier you plan to use in Italy.

Italy uses primarily 3G and 4G networks, with some carriers also offering 5G networks. The most common frequency bands used by Italian carriers are:

• 3G: 900 MHz and 2100 MHz
  • 4G: 800 MHz, 1800 MHz, and 2600 MHz

To check if your iPhone 11 supports these frequencies, you can go to the Apple website and look up the specifications for your specific model. You can also check with the local carrier in Italy to confirm that their network is compatible with your iPhone.

0 Likes