How do I call while traveling in Canada?
joshjmiller82

I am traveling to Canada soon and have added Travel Pass to my plan for my Galaxy S6. First, while I am in Canada, will people in the U.S. (family, friends, etc.) be able to call or text me as usual or will my number be treated as though they are making an international call?

Second, I am a bit confused by the dialing instructions. In order to call or text anyone in Canada, will I need to add a "+" before the number for both calling and texting? Or just for calling? Conversely, does someone in Canada need to do that to call or text me?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Traveling to Canada
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wishing you safe travels, joshjmiller82. Help is here as I can provide assistance regarding the awesome feature, Travel Pass. Travel Pass lets you use your domestic talk, text and data allowances while traveling outside the US in more than 100 countries for a low daily rate. Instead of paying per minute, per message, or per MB you'll be charged a flat rate with TravelPass. The daily rate is $5/day in Mexico and Canada and $10/day in other countries where TravelPass is available. You'll use your minutes, messages and data allowances from your domestic plan. 4G data speeds apply for the first 512 MB/day with reduced speeds thereafter. The daily charge only applies on days you use your service outside of the US, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.

Get more plan flexibility and international options with the new Verizon Plan Unlimited. The new Verizon Plan Unlimited provides unlimited calling to Mexico and Canada. Plus you can take your domestic talk, text and data allowances with you to Mexico and Canada at no additional charge. For more information, please see our FAQ's regarding Travel Pass by clicking here. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-travel-faqs/?lid=sayt&sayt=travel pass*#travelpass1

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wishing you safe travels, joshjmiller82. Help is here as I can provide assistance regarding the awesome feature, Travel Pass. Travel Pass lets you use your domestic talk, text and data allowances while traveling outside the US in more than 100 countries for a low daily rate. Instead of paying per minute, per message, or per MB you'll be charged a flat rate with TravelPass. The daily rate is $5/day in Mexico and Canada and $10/day in other countries where TravelPass is available. You'll use your minutes, messages and data allowances from your domestic plan. 4G data speeds apply for the first 512 MB/day with reduced speeds thereafter. The daily charge only applies on days you use your service outside of the US, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.

Get more plan flexibility and international options with the new Verizon Plan Unlimited. The new Verizon Plan Unlimited provides unlimited calling to Mexico and Canada. Plus you can take your domestic talk, text and data allowances with you to Mexico and Canada at no additional charge. For more information, please see our FAQ's regarding Travel Pass by clicking here. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-travel-faqs/?lid=sayt&sayt=travel pass*#travelpass1

0 Likes
telarsson66

I have a pre-paid verizon plan in the U.S. Going to Canada for a vacation, would I have to have an addition to my plan for service, or would I have basic phone service with no additional expense?

0 Likes
hoggmann

I already have Canada and Mexico talk and text in my plan but last year while in Canada more than 50% of the time I could not make a call or text. I was at Niagara Falls and Toronto which shows to have coverage. My ext trip will be Vancouver. Just want to know how to insure my phone will work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning to you! Hearing that you experienced issues using your device while traveling to Canada (Last year) is very concerning and I personally apologize for your inconvenience. We'd noted your reference to your domestic plan including coverage while traveling through Canada and Mexico and this is a great convenience for our customers who travel to those countries. However, it saddens our team to hear that you experienced issues making calls and texting about 50% of the time while you were traveling through Canada last year. Were your service issues addressed and resolved by contacting our Customer Service team last year? For future reference, you can reach our Global Support Team toll-free from a Verizon mobile device (While traveling in Canada) by dialing the Plus (+) Sign then 1 then 908-559-4899. You can also reach our team from a landline phone while in Canada by dialing 844-556-1353 but please be advised that this call would not be toll-free. I recommend adding these numbers to your phone's contact list. We definitely want to make sure that you're able to enjoy your upcoming trip to Vancouver and that you won't have any worries about using your Verizon device while traveling there. Due to the urgency of this matter, we recommend that you visit our International Travel website and view the information provided at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-travel-faqs/. This website link also includes our very helpful Trip Planner tool, which acts as a checklist to make sure that your device is global compatible and that it will be ready to use while you're traveling outside the US (e.g. Canada, etc.). I'm confident that this information will be very helpful. - RobertC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes