Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
How do I turn on VZW Wi-Fi calling with cellular radio disabled?
j_kohl

Anybody know of a way to turn on wifi calling when cellular radio is turned off?

Say for example I travel internationally and buy a local SIM card for my iPhone 7.  That works great: I have a local phone number and local rates for communicating in the foreign country.

Now, I'm returning home to USA and I want to use my VZW phone number again over WiFi in the airport.  I want to keep the phone in airplane mode, so that I don't pick up roaming and possibly the $10/day charge.

However, when I swap my VZW SIM back into my phone, wifi calling is not enabled (it was enabled when I popped the SIM out of the phone, but it appears not to be persistent).  The only way I can find to enable wifi calling is through the settings app, Phone->Wi-Fi Calling.  But this is disabled when in airplane mode.

0 Likes
Re: How do I turn on VZW Wi-Fi calling with cellular radio disabled?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We know how important it is to have options for avoiding roaming when you can, j_kohl. We are very sad to say though once the Verizon SIM is removed, it needs to reactivate while connected to our network for Wi-Fi calling to work again.

Once you are back in the U.S. you can re-install the SIM, after it refreshes with our network Wi-Fi calling will be available once again. When traveling out of the U.S. you would need to keep the Verizon SIM card installed in the phone for Wi-Fi calling to continue working. Swapping the SIM would disable the option.

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes