Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Member feedback on the Jive implementation of the VCC
cinderbloke
Novice

Thanks to for the resurrection of the discussion creation capability! And the reply edit and delete functions!

I had originally posted the request for these features, functions, and privileges in the Migrating to a new community discussion, but now that we can create our own discussions, I've moved it to its own. If/as we get any of these, I'll exercise my new-found  editing privilege to strike-through each item. The list contains many items gleaned from that discussion plus a few of my own.

Please:

1. Migrate ALL of the VCC content from the Lithium site.DONE!
  2. Grant us reply editing privileges (as the main forum already has).DONE!
  3. Grant us reply deletion privileges (as the main forum already has).DONE!
  4. Grant us discsussion creation privileges (as the main forum already has).DONE!
  5. Grant us poll-creation privileges. DONE! We can now Create/Polls with 2-10 choices in any of the 5 VCC-specific Places. There are also several other 'Content types' (i.e. Collaborative documents, Blog posts, etc.) available to us under the 'Create' button as well.
  6. Give us the ability to preview a reply before we post it. NOTE: Preview not currently possible for posts
  7. Give us the ability to create Tags for all replies, not just our own. EDIT: It would also be advantageous to permit tagging for replies in a thread and not just the OP. Some of the VCC discussions continue for long periods of time and it is common for individual replies to contain tag-worthy references.
  8. Permit users to set the maximum number of replies viewed per page (larger than the current default). NOTE: Currently set at system level, may be bumped up.
  9. Credit each of us with the points we'd earned in the Lithium-based VCC forum.
  10. Consider increasing the number of PMs above 100. We had 50 in and 50 out in vBulletin and it wasn't enough. DONE! The VCC now uses Direct Messages exclusively instead of PMs, so there is no limit to the number we can have. Direct Messages are displayed in 'Communications' and can be isolated by using the Filter to select only Direct Messages.
  11. Make threaded view persistent for all users who choose that setting (instead of going "flat" at 50). NOTE: Default value may be bumped up a little
  12. Provide a way to see the current signed-in/out status of all VCC members (or, as Lithium provided, at least for all friends).
  13. Provide searching within  the entire VCC, within a specific VCC sub-group, or within an individual VCC discussion. DONE! A new Search function has been added at the top of the VCC Space and each of the 4 VCC sub-spaces that will allow searching within the entire forum or just within the VCC.   
  14. Provide a users' manual (or at least a comprehensive tips and tricks) for the Jive implementation of the VCC.
  15. Provide direct shortcuts to get the following lists (chronologically ascending/descending).

■ All VCC replies (across the entire VCC)

■ All unread VCC replies (across the entire VCC)

■ All VCC replies by discussion/place/group

■ All unread VCC replies by discussion/place/group

■ All VCC replies by user(s)

■ All unread VCC replies by user(s)

16. EDIT TO ADD: Fix the "friend-back" feature that mentioned in this thread. DONE!

("Friends" has been changed to "Followers"). However, it should be noted that members can only send Direct Messages

to other members who are actually "Following" them.

17. EDIT TO ADD: Provide an "undo" and "redo" function with multiple level memory in the text editors.

18. EDIT TO ADD: Provide a user setting to list all replies in a thread in reverse chronological order ("Newest Post First") in

addition to the current default of "Oldest Post First".

Message was edited by: cinderbloke - Original post was made on January 3, 2011. Edits have been made as items were addressed. If anyone disagrees with the 'done' status on this item (or any other), feel free to comment accordingly,

LATEST STATUS (01-13-2011.13:03): It appears that work on the additional features we requested (beyond the initial version of the "Search" capability introduced on January 6, 2011) has been postponed or stopped entirely.

THANK YOU for all the improvements you made in the VCC forum so far!

Smiley Happy                                  We also very much  appreciated the excellent feedback you gave us!

0 Likes
Re: Member feedback on the Jive implementation of the VCC
admin
Novice
  1. Migrate ALL of the VCC content from the Lithium site.

Working on the other things on your list but this is done now.  Might be a few minutes/hours as things are cached but the replies are there and will show up shortly.

admin
Novice

9. Credit each of us with the points we'd earned in the Lithium-based VCC forum.

Should be fixed as well now.

Sam_K

, it's cool that you're using 's checklist to fix/enhance the Jive forum.  

0 Likes
cinderbloke
Novice

Thanks, and I very much appreciate all your efforts and active feedback !

admin
Novice

Ok, I like  these suggestions however there are a few that aren't features of Jive that we can just enable so I want to address those as well.

Give us the ability to preview a comment before we post it.

Unfortunately discussion messages don't have a preview available.  However, both documents and blog posts will allow you to save and preview prior to posting.

8. Permit users to set the maximum number of posts viewed per page (larger than the current default).

I second that feature request Smiley Happy.  At this time the configuration is set on a system level but will see if that is also something we can get bumped up.

11. Make threaded view persistent for all users who choose that setting (instead of going "flat" at 50).

There is a lot of data that is loaded around each message so to load a large discussion with say 500 posts is a lot of information to load when the general case is that people are looking at a specific message.  This is the reason that once a thread gets beyond a certain size it automatically switches to the flat view.  However that threshold is configurable so I will work with our team to see what we can do about getting it bumped up to a larger number.

cinderbloke
Novice

Jive Administrator wrote:

Ok, I like  these suggestions however there are a few that aren't features of Jive that we can just enable so I want to address those as well.

Give us the ability to preview a comment before we post it.

Unfortunately discussion messages don't have a preview available.  However, both documents and blog posts will allow you to save and preview prior to posting.

Now that we have edit (and since minor edits, of which I make quite a few ,  don't require 'headlines'), I think that's OK.

8. Permit users to set the maximum number of posts viewed per page (larger than the current default).

I second that feature request Smiley Happy.  At this time the configuration is set on a system level but will see if that is also something we can get bumped up.

Thanks! And if it results in a future product feature, it might be good to have two settings, one for desktop viewing, and one for mobile.

11. Make threaded view persistent for all users who choose that setting (instead of going "flat" at 50).

There is a lot of data that is loaded around each message so to load a large discussion with say 500 posts is a lot of information to load when the general case is that people are looking at a specific message.  This is the reason that once a thread gets beyond a certain size it automatically switches to the flat view.  However that threshold is configurable so I will work with our team to see what we can do about getting it bumped up to a larger number.

Understood, thanks!

0 Likes
MikeSobe
Novice

Major props to the Administrator(s).  Thank you!!!

0 Likes
cinderbloke
Novice

1a. Did Private and Direct Messaging capabilities get yanked?  I used to be able to hover on a member's screename and have an option to send them a PM, but no longer see any method offered to send either a PM or DM to anyone.

EDIT: Note to other members - I just tried to send a DM to several members including some

who are not currently following me and got the following message:

"You can only send Direct Messages to your Friends / Connections (people following you).

So, unless member A is following member B, member B can NOT send a DM to member A.

1b. One advantage of PMs is that the Inbox provides a way to store some number of them for future reference. Is there a way to list all the DMs a member has received?

2. Also, I think there may still be a few kinks in the process that transferred threads from Lithium. For example, at the top of the HTC Thunderbolt Review and Comments thread Jive reports that it has only 7 replies but actually has 228. That confusion may be what is also causing Jive to load all 228 comments  in one single page (takes quite some time to load, too).

0 Likes
Sam_K

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we have 5 subforums under the old VCC forum on the Lithium platform?  Now we only have 4: Devices, Customer Council Information, Applications and Services and Carrier Comparisons.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/vcc/vccdevices

https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/vcc/vccci

https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/vcc/vccappserv

https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/vcc/vcccarcomp

It appears that the old fifth subforum (which I can't remember the title) was removed and all the threads were put under the VCC "Space".  I guess that makes sense.  Here's a link where you can see the off-topic lounge thread, etc.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/vcc

0 Likes