2.2 Upgrade kills pop e-mail
pb2past
Enthusiast - Level 2

They pushed the 2.2 upgrade onto my phone on Friday, Sept 3, 2010. As far as I am concerned it is a disaster. Besides all the other issues such as useless apps that keep starting in the background there is a much bigger problem which I think is delibrate.

Android 2.2 does not save previous e-mails from pop-server on the phone memory or the SD card and just deletes them everytime it refreshes once the server is empty. This is what happens:

HTC mail syncs with your pop e-mail account and downloads the mails. Once you are on your home computer and start outlook and download e-mails which as default deletes e-mails from the server. As soon as the e-mail server is empty, next time HTC mail refreshes it just syncs with an empty server and thus deletes all previous e-mails from the phone. One way to stop this is to change the outlook setting so it leaves a copy of each e-mail on the server. But everyone has limited server memory and sooner or later it will be full and you will have to empty it which means your phone mails will eventually be deleted too.

Another option is to automatically send your pop e-mails to Gmail in order to keep a copy of them on your phone. This has a problem that Gmail mails are only saved on Gmail server, so If I am in a place with no phone service, I have no access to my e-mails on Gmail in case I would like to refer to any of them.

Neither are real solutions. Spoke with HTC about this and was told that is a new feature with the upgraded OS. It is ridiculous to call this a feature, it is a fault. It sounds like they added this “FEATURE” to force everyone to use Gmail as their primary e-mail. That just does not sound right to me. As a consumer, I bought this phone and the service knowing that it has features that everyone accepts as normal and fundamental to the Smart Phone. Now Google, HTC & Verizon have decided that I should NOT keep a copy of MY e-mails on MY phone! I find this absolutely absurd.

I told the HTC technical support person, had I known they were planning to do this, I would not have bought this phone 2 months agao and may well have considered changing from Verizon to AT&T to get the iphone. If they don’t fix this soon, I will seriously consider getting an iphone even before my 2 year contract is up. I have a family plan with 4 phones on my account.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 2.2 Upgrade kills pop e-mail
pb2past
Enthusiast - Level 2

pb2past wrote:

They pushed the 2.2 upgrade onto my phone on Friday, Sept 3, 2010. As far as I am concerned it is a disaster. Besides all the other issues such as useless apps that keep starting in the background there is a much bigger problem which I think is delibrate.

Android 2.2 does not save previous e-mails from pop-server on the phone memory or the SD card and just deletes them everytime it refreshes once the server is empty. This is what happens:

HTC mail syncs with your pop e-mail account and downloads the mails. Once you are on your home computer and start outlook and download e-mails which as default deletes e-mails from the server. As soon as the e-mail server is empty, next time HTC mail refreshes it just syncs with an empty server and thus deletes all previous e-mails from the phone. One way to stop this is to change the outlook setting so it leaves a copy of each e-mail on the server. But everyone has limited server memory and sooner or later it will be full and you will have to empty it which means your phone mails will eventually be deleted too.

Another option is to automatically send your pop e-mails to Gmail in order to keep a copy of them on your phone. This has a problem that Gmail mails are only saved on Gmail server, so If I am in a place with no phone service, I have no access to my e-mails on Gmail in case I would like to refer to any of them.

Neither are real solutions. Spoke with HTC about this and was told that is a new feature with the upgraded OS. It is ridiculous to call this a feature, it is a fault. It sounds like they added this “FEATURE” to force everyone to use Gmail as their primary e-mail. That just does not sound right to me. As a consumer, I bought this phone and the service knowing that it has features that everyone accepts as normal and fundamental to the Smart Phone. Now Google, HTC & Verizon have decided that I should NOT keep a copy of MY e-mails on MY phone! I find this absolutely absurd.

I told the HTC technical support person, had I known they were planning to do this, I would not have bought this phone 2 months agao and may well have considered changing from Verizon to AT&T to get the iphone. If they don’t fix this soon, I will seriously consider getting an iphone even before my 2 year contract is up. I have a family plan with 4 phones on my account.

Had a new upgrade pushed on to my phone today and it seems to have fixed the pop3 e-mail problem. All of my e-mails are staying on the phone even though they are not on the server anymore. I have also noticed that the battery life may be a little better. I will still have to confirm that in a few days and after more usage.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lindsey204

I just got the new phone, and the new OS, cannot add my POP3 e-mail account, will not accept the settings...

0 Likes
budone
Legend

lindsey204 wrote:

I just got the new phone, and the new OS, cannot add my POP3 e-mail account, will not accept the settings...

Are you attempting to use the same settings as you use on your computer?

As for the other issue of POP3 emials disappearing, I set up an account just to see and yes they immediately disappear when you attempt to view it.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i use a pop email account and have none of these issues? is it possible that the problems are with your particular server?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

pb2....there are backup apps that will backup your emails (or texts, or whatever you want) to the sd card. i haven't cleared my emails from my server  for years and have not used up my available space.  i would think you would run out of space on your phone before your server if you save EVERY email? not sure though? i leave everything on the server and then it stays on the phone until i delete it. but if you REALLY want it off the server, but still on the phone (or rather sd card) i'm almost positive it can be done.

0 Likes
pb2past
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks AZSALUKI, I did not have this problem before 2.2. I went to the Verizon store and their tech guy looked for an app to back e-mails up and could not find one. I have looked and cannot find one. If you know of any, I would be grateful to receive a link or a name. If I could save them into a different folder before they are pulled off the server by my outlook that would be fine. My pop3 server only has 100MB space and I do receive a lot of e-mails with attachments so it will fill up quickly and I will have to go in and clear them up and of course as soon as I do I will lose anything that's been cleared away from the server form the phone too.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

aparently there is none? it looks like all of the ones i was thing of only do sms/mms. there are backup apps that claim to backup the whole device on your sd card, but then when i read comments on them i notice complaints of pics or music not being backed up. i was thinking of "mybackup pro," but in reading the description it advertises that ability to backup about 10 things....none of which include emails??? sorry. seems pretty absurd to me.

0 Likes
ksfrogman

As I have posted on several other posts, I too have been losing my pop emails.  My gmail works just fine.

This was never a problem before.  I have had the HTC Incredible since the first day it was released, set up my pop mail accounts and they worked perfectly before.  Now all my old emails have disappeared and new ones also disappear when the inbox refreshes.

My email server:  Time Warner, California Roadrunner (@ca.rr.com), formerly comcast.net.

0 Likes
rpgarrett75703
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is my response to this subject that I posted in a similar thread

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Incredible-by-HTC/Deleted-emails-reappearing/m-p/277616/highlight/...

0 Likes
ksfrogman123

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I could not sign in with my ksfrogman profile as it requested I create a new profile.

Also, I cannot access the link you just posted.  It says

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access/DROID-Incredible-by-HTC/Deleted-emails-reappearing/m-p/277616/highlight/true on this server.

0 Likes