Re: 2.2 update install - Manual vs. OTA - Please advise your end result
Will1198
Manual update 4 days ago, absolutely no problems so far.. love FroYo!! :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

tr1....yodiggity made a good point. there are actually 2 different ways to manually do it so maybe people should be much more specific about how they got the update. that being said, i think you're going to find that it doesn't really matter. my theory is this....prolly 90+% on inc users get their update over the air (most average users don't even know they are waiting on an update and don't know what it is) so you will see MUCH more complaints from ota updates. it's just too large of a sample size compared to those who couldn't wait, so they got it manually. there is already a manual update on this thread with problems so my conclusion is that it's not going to matter. it's a crap shoot. and fyi....a hard reset will reset your phone to exactly how it was when you got it. you will have to set everything back up and install everything again.....but this has helped many that had issues after the update. rebooting or pulling the battery is what people call a soft reset (i believe).

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

In the BlackBerry world, what we call a "Hard Reset" is known as "wiping". I think that's actually a better term for it. Not that it matters, just making conversation. :smileywink:

But to elaborate on AZSALUKI's point a little more, a hard reset will only reset the phone to whichever ROM was most recently installed on it. So if you got Froyo and hate it, a hard reset will clear everything off the phone and just leave you with your base operating system, which in that case would still be Froyo. It will not put your phone back to a previous version. However, my theory is that if you got the pb113.img file that was used in the last update, you could essentially "back-rev" your phone. I don't have any problems with mine, so I'm not going to try it out, but I am very curious about it. I thought about trying it last night just to see if it would work, but I'm too lazy to reinstall all my apps.

Of course, trying to do that could also brick your phone, I spose, you never know. That's what makes it so interesting...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i actually wish people DID refer to it as wiping. i can't tell you how many times i've seen an issue posted, then someone just say "do a hard reset," then the original poster reply "i just did that and LOST everything!" if it were refered to as wiping than many unsuspecting people would not lose all their data. "wiping" just sounds like it impies you are gonna lose stuff....lol. it's a pet peeve of mine. if you suggest a hard reset you really need to follow by warning them.

0 Likes