2 day old replacement phone is a lemon!
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received my replacement phone (now my third phone in less than a year).  It was working fine.  I went to my text messages this morning and then it froze.  I had to take out the battery to reboot, but now it just stays on the motorola logo screen.  I've left the battery out for 30 minutes, still same thing.  This is driving me crazy!! I had to wait 3 days to even get this phone because they couldn't deliver it on Saturday.  This is NOT acceptable. I can't get to the store until after lunch because I have a JOB!

Anyone else have issues with "certified" refurbished phones?

0 Likes
Re: 2 day old replacement phone is a lemon!
Wildman
Legend

Two things to consider...

1. The device a small computer and you have installed applications on the device and in most case haven't restarted the device for a while, this is usually where issues happens and the issue probably isn't the device.

2. Try Clearing the cache by Powering Off / Press and Hold Home button and power button / Volume up and down / Select Wipe Cache Partition and restart....  If this doesn't work then do a hard reset of the device will get the device working again,

• Power the device off.
    Note Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.
    Note If the device isn't responding to input, remove / replace the battery
  • Press and hold the Home key then power the device on.
    Note Press the Power button while holding Home.
    Home key
    Power button 
  • From the Android Recovery screen, press Volume Up / Down simultaneously.
    Volume 
  • Press Volume Down to select wipe data / factory reset then press the Power button.
    wipe data / factory reset 
  • Press Volume Down to select Yes -- delete all user data then press the Power button.
    Note Reset process to may take approximately 1 minute.
    Yes -- delete all user data 
  • Using the Volume Down key, ensure reboot system now is selected then press the Power button.
    reboot system now 
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the quick response. 

I've tried powering on as you stated (hold down HOME and press the POWER button) nearly a dozen times, and each time it just stays on the screen with the Motorola logo.  Only way to reboot is to take the battery out.

In regards to apps (for future knowledge), how long should I wait before installing any apps after receiving a replacement phone?  I had a lot of apps in the past, but with this phone, I only downloaded those I use daily (MyFitness Pal, Facebook, Pandora, and a few games for my preschooler).

My friends keep telling me to get an iPhone, but my contract doesn't allow for a new phone until the end of the year.Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Wildman was providing you 2 procedures which sound like you can't get to - (1) Wipe Cache, and (2) Factory Reset. But it sounds like you can't even get to the System Menu using the Power + Home process. If you can't get the phone booted to that Menu or even booted at ALL, it's time to go to Verizon ... they can "FLASH" the phone at the store. But as Wildman pointed out, you should wait a few days before slowly starting to re-download APPS ... just to make sure the phone is operating properly. Then only download 1 or 2 at a time - and only the one(s) you REALLY need.  It really does sound like you have a rogue APP or Widget causing your grief. By reinstalling APPS more slowly you might be able to better isolate which APP is causing the problem.  Good luck.  (PS - if you can actually get the phone to BOOT up, you can do the factory Reset from the Menu.  Have you tried booting into SAFE mode?)

PS - please confirm which DROID you have ... is it the Droid X or X2 ?  Then hold-button process is different for each.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Cody is correct, if you can not get into the recovery partition on the device using the instruction above then Verizon is your best option...  They will most likely send you a replacement device or try hard resetting themselves instead of trying to troubleshoot.  

Now I do not want to give the impression that you are doing anything wrong or I dont believe you but I have seen a number of users overlook the hard reset methods process....  Are you making sure to hold the "Home" button while you are powering the devices on?

0 Likes
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Droid X

0 Likes
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wildman - Yes, I was holding down Home and pressing the power button at the same time. I had a co-worker read your message, just to make sure I was doing it correctly.

I contacted Verizon and the tech had me remove the battery and hold the power button down for 15 minutes.  Put the battery back in, powered up, then a Bootlog came up and was blinking that my battery was low.  I'm charging my phone now and the tech should be calling me back in 10 minutes to start where he left off.  I tried to turn it on a few minutes ago, but it won't turn on unplugged. As soon as I plug it back in it goes to the M logo. Smiley Sad

Hopefully, if working with the tech doesn't help, they'll overnight me a phone and save me from making a trip to the Verizon store this afternoon.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Then those procedures that Wildman provided SHOULD work ...  Just make sure that you press & hold the HOME button before pressing the Power up - the 2nd button from the left ... and continue holding that HOME button for like 1-2 mins ... Still no Triangle with droid guy????

Another thing to try:  See if THIS works (Safe Mode) -

- Power off

- Press & Hold the MENU button (far left button)

- Power up the phone - continue to hold down the MENU button for like 1-2 mins.

If this works, the phone will come up saying SAFE MODE in lower left corner ...  Let us know if THAT works.

0 Likes
staceywilk77
Enthusiast - Level 3

They are sending a replacement phone tomorrow.  He was planning to try the steps Wildman posted, but my phone wouldn't turn on at all. 

I'm annoyed from dealing with all of this...so I'm taking the rest of the day off and going to the mall.

Thanks for your help and I'll be sure to use your advice on the apps with the next phone.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Hope this one resolves your issue because the Droid X really isnt a bad device,,,   Good Luck.

0 Likes