32GB Card Difficulty Mounting Since 2.2
fullwave2

Ever since doing the 2.2 upgrade it's been a painful process of getting my PC to recognize the 32GB card purchased from Verizon and installed at one of their stores.  

Upon first connecting via USB cable in USB Storage Mode, the DX goes into a loop of "Preparing SD Card" that goes on for better than 5 minutes.  Sometimes it will finally mount but it seem I have better luck if the Verizon Media Manager or Monitor is not running on the PC.

It's a painfully slow process and many times unsuccessful process of getting the PC to recognize the card and many times it requires rebooting the computer and reinstalling the Moto Connect drivers.

This is obviously an issue with 2.2 Froyo and hopefully Verizon and Moto are working together on a solution.  After all the 32 GB capability is an advertised feature and sold directly by Verizon as an upgrade.  This needs to be fixed.  I've read that some are losing media files during the mounting process.  This is not good.

0 Likes
Re: 32GB Card Difficulty Mounting Since 2.2
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

fullwave2 wrote:

Ever since doing the 2.2 upgrade it's been a painful process of getting my PC to recognize the 32GB card purchased from Verizon and installed at one of their stores.  

Upon first connecting via USB cable in USB Storage Mode, the DX goes into a loop of "Preparing SD Card" that goes on for better than 5 minutes.  Sometimes it will finally mount but it seem I have better luck if the Verizon Media Manager or Monitor is not running on the PC.

It's a painfully slow process and many times unsuccessful process of getting the PC to recognize the card and many times it requires rebooting the computer and reinstalling the Moto Connect drivers.

This is obviously an issue with 2.2 Froyo and hopefully Verizon and Moto are working together on a solution.  After all the 32 GB capability is an advertised feature and sold directly by Verizon as an upgrade.  This needs to be fixed.  I've read that some are losing media files during the mounting process.  This is not good.

Hi, not bragging here, but my 32GB card works the same as the 16GB that was included.  I did not purchase the 32GB card from Verizon.  Have you considered the issue is w/ the SD card and the 2.2 update just happened to coinside with the failure of the card?  Plus you mention PC software like verizon media manager running that causes issues.  try to uninstall that software completely.

1 suggestion i have is to back up your data off the card and format the SD card in your PC and check for file system errors. 

Then try again.

good luck.

Dj.

0 Likes
w8nyy1

I considered that but since several orther people on the Motorola Droid X forum were having the exact same coincidence of having their 32GB cards immediately after the 2.2 update that Motorola started collecting data from us as to what class the card was that we are using (mine is a class 2) that it appears to be an issue with the software and not the hardware.

I have moved applications to the 32GB card and backing it up and reformatting would be a bit risky. 

I'd be interested to know just how many others on this forum have the same issue.

By the way, I couldn't log into this forum this morning with my normal ID.  Coming to the forum forces me to create a new forum ID even though I have an ID.  Screwy.

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

w8nyy1 wrote:

I considered that but since several orther people on the Motorola Droid X forum were having the exact same coincidence of having their 32GB cards immediately after the 2.2 update that Motorola started collecting data from us as to what class the card was that we are using (mine is a class 2) that it appears to be an issue with the software and not the hardware.

I have moved applications to the 32GB card and backing it up and reformatting would be a bit risky. 

I'd be interested to know just how many others on this forum have the same issue.

By the way, I couldn't log into this forum this morning with my normal ID.  Coming to the forum forces me to create a new forum ID even though I have an ID.  Screwy.

I still believe the issue is with the SD cards used, not the X.  I have yet to find a micro sdhc 32GB faster than class 2, so everyone who is using a 32gb card is probably using a class 2. 

If there was a software bug, it would be on every X and not every X w/ sdhc 32gb card is having problems.

dj.

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

First lets make sure you have the most updated version of the update.  

From the main screen, touch menu tab
Touch Settings
Touch About Phone
Touch System Updates
Then could I get you to do a soft reset on the device.  
Soft Reset
Press the Power key.
Touch Power off.
Touch OK.
Press the Power key to power on the device

Once you have done a soft reset,  and you are ready to connect and mount the device.  Make sure you have closed all the unnecessary running applications before connecting the device.  You can do this by going to settings, then applications, then running applications, and then selecting the application to close it. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I hate to tell you this because I hate suggesting installing this software but I had the same issue until I loaded the usb driver that was embeded in the MotoConnect application, download and install the updated one from the Motorola site and then to avoid headaches, uninstall the option under the windows uninstall list that says MotConnect and leave the drives listed. This way you wont have to deal with the Moto app running every time you plug in device.

Users that have knowledge of exe cen just install drivers without app by extracting the exe and direct driver install to the folder like I did.

0 Likes
brownta0821
Contributor - Level 1

Wildman, I have been having this same issue with the 16gig card that came with the phone while running Win 7 Ult. What I have determined to be the problem is that Windows 7 is not properly assigning a drive number to the phone while in USB Mass Storage Mode. The way I got it to assign it properly was to plug my phone into the computer before booting it up or to restart the system when plugging the phone in and it works that way. This is an annoying way to have to do this and I have installed and reinstalled until I'm blue in the face. I have just tried the way you recommended here and still get the same "Preparing SD card" loop. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I am using Windows 7 also and I was able to get mine to connect after installing that driver, I have drawn a conclusion that the virtual drive that the phone creates may be causing this issue because when you connect phone it creating two drives at the same time and I believe this may be part of the issue... Have you tried plugging in the device and checking the hardware manager and see if all drivers are loading correctly? Try right clicking Computer icon and select Properties and Device Manager on the left window panel ans look for any astricks or a red circles.

Also do you have the system USB debugging turned on under Settings/Applications/Development

0 Likes