A few hard reset questions
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thinking I will reset my Charge before installing the update.

Plan to use

If an application is "installed on the SD card" will all the settings for that application be preserved?  Or should I make note of the settings in my applications so I can put them back as they are?  Apps I care most about are: Handcent, Smart Keyboard Pro, Roboform, and my bank's mobile app.

All I need to re-install the phones Google account and get contacts back on it are the login and password, correct?  It's been months since I set up this, my first Android phone.

I plan to use Call Log Backup and Restore and also My Backup Pro before the reset

Anything else to think about before doing the reset?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: A few hard reset questions
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

WTTTT wrote:

Thinking I will reset my Charge before installing the update.  Good idea, IMHO

Plan to use

If an application is "installed on the SD card" will all the settings for that application be preserved? No, not unless that app utilizes Google's backup service (which has nothing to do with whether or not it's on your SD card).  Or should I make note of the settings in my applications so I can put them back as they are?  yes  Apps I care most about are: Handcent (Handcent actually has an in-app backup feature, menu>settings>Handcent services>backup service, though you have to register (and maybe pay, I don't remember) to use it, Smart Keyboard Pro, Roboform, and my bank's mobile app.

All I need to re-install the phones Google account and get contacts back on it are the login and password, correct?  Yes It's been months since I set up this, my first Android phone.

I plan to use Call Log Backup and Restore and also My Backup Pro before the reset

Anything else to think about before doing the reset?  Sounds like you are pretty well set.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

If you use Backup Pro you should be good but remember not to restore the contacts from backup because Google restores them when logged in and if you restore from app the contacts will double.   You can restore SMS, MMS and Call History from My Backup without issues..

0 Likes
B33
Legend

To the Op sounds like a good Idea an that should yield you the best setup for the New Os you'll be installing on your Charge. As i always do a Fr on my X an Inc. before installing software updates. B33 :smileyhappy:

Morning Demmo..  Morning Wildman A cold a wet one here for sure with Snow on the way Yuki Yuki :smileysad:  B33

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks all.  The update message just popped up on my phone.  I'm backed up and just need to take some notes or screen shots of some app settings.  Then I'll do the reset, turn on WiFi and wait for the update message to come again.

0 Likes