Re: A word on Gingerbread update
majael
Contributor - Level 1

NoJolt4U wrote:

hmmmmm I have been checking system updates for 2 weeks and I was on a i4 version cant remember the number.  Now today I am on i5 but still not gingerbread?   What should I expect to see that has changed with it?

There should have never been anything identified as "i4____".  The Samsung model number on the phone (i510) can't / won't change due to the update.

You'll have been updated when the firmware version changes from 2.2.1 (FroYo) to 2.3.6 (Gingerbread).

You're other reference is a change of build number SCH-i510.EE4 toSCH-i510.EP4.

0 Likes
jschmitt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is official confirmation that its rolling out.  I will stand by my original post and say it will be a few days for some before they see it.  Your not going to be able to automatically pull it down.  

http://www.androidcentral.com/gingerbread-samsung-droid-charge-rolling-out-now

0 Likes
majael
Contributor - Level 1

jschmitt wrote:

Here is official confirmation that its rolling out.  I will stand by my original post and say it will be a few days for some before they see it.  Your not going to be able to automatically pull it down.  

http://www.androidcentral.com/gingerbread-samsung-droid-charge-rolling-out-now

How does "word in the forum" of a site other than Verizon or Samsung qualify it as "official"?  Confirmation, sure.  But we had that last night on threads here and other sites.  This doesn't give anything authoritative about the process being used.

Sorry.  I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer.  I appreciate real news of any kind we can get.  But speculation based upon whatever anecdotal stuff people can weed out of forums just doesn't cut it for me. 

0 Likes
NoJolt4U

thanks for the clarification

0 Likes
NoLeafClover

Are you guys still having doubts about the update not coming out?

I got the OTA update this morning, and its a 114.4 mb file.

it should say ,

Firmware 2.3.6

baseband version i510.06 -EP4

kernel 2.6.35.7 - EP4

Build number SCHI510 -EP4

0 Likes
dholbdy

sheesh..I wish I never came on this forum a couple days ago to see all this gossip about the update now I'm sooo anxious and there is nothing I can do but wait..I will probably be one the last to get it, anyone who has gotten the update where are you from and time zone??

0 Likes
dholbdy

noleaf, I see you are from Detroit MI. That's not too far from me I'm in Upstate NY, Syracuse.. I was in Detroit for Thanksgiving I wish I stayed a couple days later although I don't think that would helped my situation it probably goes by area code?? I have no clue

0 Likes
UMFootball1989
Go to www.phandroid.com and its the first thread
0 Likes
NoLeafClover

I don't know if its by area code or not I was in the same page yesterday.

My area code is 313 but I've also been a costumer with verizon for over 9 years so I don't know if its area code, random numbers or costumer history.

I'd wait a bit longer, I have written a bit about the diffrences ive notices here

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Charge-by-Samsung/Anyone-receive-the-gingerbread-2-3-OTA-update-ye...

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

I've been with Verizon now just over 8 years, our area code is 480 and we are in Scottsdale, Arizona, anyone from Arizona been prompted with the update yet or been able to manually pull it over wife, 4g or 4g by checking about phone?

0 Likes