Alarm Clock Is Always Running
droiddude

Does anyone know why the alarm clock is always running ? I use the Advance Task Killer from the Market to manage processes on my Droid. Without fail, every time I start up Task Killer, the alarm clock is running.

Thanks in advance...

0 Likes
Re: Alarm Clock Is Always Running
MrHacks

Alarm Clock will always be running, especially if you have set alarms. (i.e. Setting an alarm for 7AM to for you to wake up.)

Hitting snooze will only make it go off again a few minutes later. Disarm will disarm the alarm for the day.

0 Likes
droiddude

I guess I should have mentioned that I don't use the alarm clock and I am not enabling it. After I kill all processes, I can go into email, for example, then use the task killer app to see what's running, and sure enough, the alarm clock is back on the list.

0 Likes
MrHacks

I really wouldn't use the Task Killer a whole lot. Not without messing up the functionality of the operating system.

I'll admit I don't use the Corporate Calendar or Exchange Email, but they still run in the background.  (If by chance I get a new job where these apps are necessary, it would be good to know they are there.)

There has been so much emphasis on using a task killer program in this forum. Its a bad cure-all and irresponsible IMHO.  It would be more responsible if software developers added an option to close the program.

Keep in mind that some sofware will still run in the background because they are called "services".  For example, if you close the Gtalk command, you will probably kill the telephone features on the device.

I think there should be a better explaination as to how the programs run on the Android operating system.

I would advise until someone does--and unless some creats some sort of "Bonzai Buddy" app--there is really no reason for using a task killer.

0 Likes
droiddude

I appreciate your comments. However, I'm not sure I agree that a task killer is a bad app to use. I'm not sure here, but I would go out on a limb and say that I doubt that all apps are simply 'killed' by these type of programs. Most operating systems provide a mechanism to signal an application to terminate. A well designed application would have a hook in it to listen for that signal and stop gracefully. Also, unless an application has files/tables open with records/rows that have not been flushed back to non-volatile memory, it's doubtful that even a real kill statement would cause any irreparable damage.

At any rate, I still would like to know why the alarm clock seems to be constantly running.

0 Likes