Re: Am I doing something wrong with my new Incredible?
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Go to Settings.....Applications....Running and count the nunber of items your dinc says are running.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

ok...hold up. i've been checking "running services." and only about 6 show up. but if i go to apps...running...then there are A TON OF THEM. however, there are 3 times more than my app killer EVER showed? why is this. this shows com.htc.dcs.service.stock, contacts storage, dialer storage, download manager, etc., etc. it even lists htc sense???? lol....i obviously don't understand this because NONE of all this ever showed up when i'd open a task killer???? and about half of this stuff appears to me to be necessary for it to function (android system shows up...and clock, dialer, contacts storage)??? isn't a lot of this stuff necessary? 

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Sure, a lot of those are necessary. But all of them?
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i give up trying to figure out how it works. i know this....since i uninstalled it yesterday, i haven't noticed any difference in performance and right now i'm at up time of 13:01 and awake time of 1:48. it just went from 60% to 50%. so it will easily get me to my normal full day of being on with about 3 hours of actual use. the day before my battery was draining faster than normal (that was the day after i got froyo and was killing apps all morning). i've also seen other tonight report that thier battery got better after uninstalling and someone said his music quit canstantly skipping after uninstalling....so i'm leaving it off an i'll just quit trying to figure it out!!!! every time i think i've learned how it works, i realize i have no idea how it works!!! but it works so i'll ignore it.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

if i get real bored this weekend maybe i'll reinstall it and open it just to see what it shows compared to the setting...apps....manage apps....running list. task killer NEVER showed most of these....but they had to be running right? 

0 Likes
JoeBobHarris
Enthusiast - Level 3
Fair enough. But didn't 2.2 change the game a little? Have the task killers / users accounted for these differences?
w40d1n1 wrote:
So its bad for ATK to kill an app, but it's acceptable for the OS to kill the app but *only* after the system's resources are already constrained?!? I, a 20+ year app and systems, and recent blackberry, software developer, call **bleep** on that (obviously written by inexperienced ppl) article. Don't forget, Google once wrote that Wave was the future.

0 Likes
JoeBobHarris
Enthusiast - Level 3

This quote from an Android software engineer might apply here. 

Found under "When does an application stop?". Here > http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html

A common misunderstanding about Android multitasking is the difference between a process and an application. In Android these are not tightly coupled entities: applications may seem present to the user without an actual process currently running the app; multiple applications may share processes, or one application may make use of multiple processes depending on its needs; the process(es) of an application may be kept around by Android even when that application is not actively doing something.

In this same article it says that Android may leave processes running in the background if the device is not memory constrained. Do we want to go back to a single-tasking OS to conserve battery power? I thought multi-tasking was a feature. Think I'm going to the V store today to get an extra battery. 

0 Likes
drum_thumper
Contributor - Level 1

I know that since Froyo was installed on my Dinc, my battery life was way down.  I unistalled my ATK last night but had to turn off my phone (had it in the other room and did not want notifications waking my in-laws all night long).  My phone has been up now fpr 37 minutes and awake for 17.  By this point in the last two days my battery meter had already gone down a little.  Today, it has not moved yet.

As for apps and processes, look at it this way.  This phne is a computer.  If you go into your computer and hit "ctrl/alt/delete" and go to Task manager, one tab will have all the programs running and their status and then there is another tab called "processes".  If you open that tab, you will see all sorts of stuff running.  This is the stuff that is running to keep your computer performing correctly so that you will not feel like throwing it out the window.  It is much like that on your Inc.

As for the ATK, since they were designed for 2.1 they worked much better.  But now we have 2.2 and it is like trying to run a software program that was made for Windows XP on Windows 7.  The possibility of a problem with that software is really high.  It is like this with the ATK's and some of the apps that are available.  I am guessing that most of the developers are now in the process of trying to work around the 2.2 platform to update their apps (if not already done).

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thumper, task killer apps arent written just for the dinc, they are written for the OS. Froyo has already been available for months, esp to app devs. I believe that froyo devs didn't want android to be known for needing task killers, so they spent time (coding and blogging) making sure task killers would not work with froyo.
0 Likes