Any benefit to installing Build 4.08.605.15?
BlimpyB

Does it make the phone faster?  Improve battery life?  I'm looking for input from anyone who has successfully installed the latest OTA upgrade.

The last update in November made my Incredible less responsive, downgraded battery life and took me a few hours to render the phone usable again.  Are any of these issues addressed in the new release?  I'm reading several reports of the new 4.08.605.15 causing reboot loops and bricking phones so I want to check if there is any quantifiable reason to risk it.

Verizon says the update has improvements for Visual Voice Mail, Bluetooth and ringtones, none of which I need, yet Wikipedia says 4.08.605.15 is an update to Android 4.0 which I assume would include other systemic changes.  Any feedback appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Any benefit to installing Build 4.08.605.15?
kevint77

I just updated, so I can't comment on improvements/bugs, but I can tell you that before the update my android version was 2.3.4, and afterwards it was still 2.3.4.

Here's a before and after of my software information:

Item
BeforeAfter
Baseband version2.15.10.07.072.15.10.12.20
Kernel version

2.6.35.13-g0354aa

htc-kernel@and18-2#1

Fri Oct 7 10:52:52 CST 2011

2.6.35.13-g22d3486

htc-kernel@and18-2#1

Tue May 22 20:56:42 CST 2012

Build number4.08.605.2 CL185897 release-keys4.08.605.15 CL389630 release-keys
Software number4.08.605.2  (I think there was more that I didn't write down)4.08.605.15 710RD

All other items were the same.

0 Likes
IllegalOpsNT

My android version also remained unchanged at 2.3.4  The only difference I've noticed is I can no longer control Winamp with my Bluetooth headset (LG HBS700 (These headphones are amazing and the controls worked until the upgrade)).  THe headset never worked with the stock Music app but worked with Winamp.  Now it works with neither.

Other than that, no new widgets, wallapers, or apps.

Also, I had to factory reset b/c I kept getting the memory error I received when first getting Gingerbread.

0 Likes
BlimpyB

Thanks, those answers are helpful.  If anyone else notices any changes with the upgrade please let me know.

And now, since it seems to do next to nothing other than cause headaches, is there a way to stop getting upgrade notifications all the time?

0 Likes
VACHRIS

I see no benifit for the pain i had to go through to install it.  Phone did a factory reset on its own while installing the first time.  The second time I got the storage space error that all of us have come to "love"  third time it installed and for what?

0 Likes
manaid602

DON'T Upgrade!!!! There is no difference except that everything crashes! My phone keeps going rebooting and my phone reset itself to manufactures setting. Not worth the risk!!!!

0 Likes
ClarksonCote

I have noticed, that since installing this update, my phone reboots numerous times, at night while I'm asleep.  I wake up to find the screen on, and then watch it reboot a few times.  I first noticed it because the sound was on one night, and the phone was saying "Droid" a few times as it started up.

This started happening after this update, and I can't find any information on how to fix it.  Pretty frustrated.

0 Likes
Mary00

I'm having the same trouble after the install -  MANY reboots overnight, but during the day it seems to be fine.  I installed it Thursday and had lots of reboots that night.  I didn't notice any reboots Friday or Saturday.  Sunday night I noticed it couldn't connect to WiFi (even though my WiFi was fine) and I had to reboot the phone.  Sunday night I had lots of reboots overnight again.  I tried disabling WiFi and that didn't help.  I use a bluetooth sleep monitor (Zeo) so I also tried disabling bluetooth; that didn't help.  It's been fine during the day today. The bluetooth sleep monitor is the only thing I can think of that's different overnight, but since disabling bluetooth didn't help I'm puzzled.  Do you happen to use Zeo as well?

0 Likes
IllegalOpsNT

Been a couple days and the bluetooth problem still exists.  Now i've noticed this thing locking up and restarting on me.

0 Likes
jkalli3

I am having the same troubles with mine after installing the update.  My phone restarts itself numerous times during the night (usually after 2am or so).  I have tried restarting it before i plug it in for the night, disabling the wireless and bluetooth, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  It is annoying because it seems to reset some of my e-reader apps and they forget my place in the books I'm reading, and some of the other apps i use also reset back and I have to re-login to them.

0 Likes