Anyone else have random reboot problems?
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

My Charge likes to randomly reset itself.  I'm still yet to find out the trigger (overheating, low battery, time of the month, etc).  But apparently, mine just randomly resets when the mood feels right. 

Anyone else have a similar issue or has found a solution?  I believe the issue became very noticeable after the last update but I'm not 100% sure that was the cause. 

0 Likes
Re: Anyone else have random reboot problems?
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

is it a complete restart (meaning you see the Samsung logo), or just a hotboot (meaning you just see the animation at start)?

i did experience this when my was stock and i was using an app that required a lot of RAM, and thus caused the phone to slow down so much, that the only for it to recover was to reboot (and would be stuck on the boot screen for about 20-30 minutes).

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

Heh, to be honest with you, I'm not 100% sure.  Most the time I just hear my pocket say "droid" really loudly and then hear the machine sounds of the startup screen (which is obnoxious, I wish they had a way to turn that off).  I think I might've caught it once or twice and it went all the way to the samsung logo.  I do know that it's not accidently getting reset (I always keep my phone locked and there have been times it's been reset when just sitting on the counter). 

It's possible I'm using an app that's requiring a lot of RAM but it's likely to be one that is running in the background because everything seems to slow down on my phone.  Any idea if there's an easy way to determine what app it could be?

Personally, I don't like the way android opens and closes processes to "ready" them for me.  It seems ridiculous that Maps is using 3% of my battery when I never use the app (I use an alternate gps app).  I know I could uninstall it but should I have to uninstall an app just because android feels like being helpful and managing my tasks for me?  This might be my last Android phone, unless they start to iron out some of these kind of features (which I imagine is a significant overhaul). 

But I digress.  Any suggestions to determining what app might be causing my phone to slow down/reset?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

boobdole,

Hello! Thanks to the community for your suggestions! An app could very well be the cause of these issues. I would first recommend running the phone in safe mode and see if it behaves better. Next, I would do a hard reset, and only load one application back into the phone a day. That way you can see which app is causing the problem.

Safe Mode:http://bit.ly/n2EIBZ

Hard Reset: http://bit.ly/w21WpW

Thank you!

Katie H
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

yes.  if you go to settings, then running apps (might be under manage apps) - you will see a list of apps that are currently running in your background.

some tips that you may already know - when exiting an app, make sure to use the back button and NOT the home button.  pressing the home button sometimes does not completely close the other app; having too many apps installed hinders performance - I try to keep mine to under 100 (currently at 78).

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

You guys do realize how ridiculously disruptive a hard reset is, right?  Most posts I see when people have problems, one of the first suggestions is to "hard reset" (ie completely wipe their phone).  Is there really no other diagnostic tool you guys have that might help identify problems besides completely wiping a phone? 

jco23
Contributor - Level 3

hard resets have never really solved any problems for me.  I don't think they would suggest that on chargeforums.com

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

Agreed.  I just think it's a super lazy suggestion from people who don't want to take the time to really determine the root cause.  yeah, it might solve the problem but it should be a last resort.  it's on par with "reinstall windows" and that should fix your problem, when simply going back to a previous restore point makes a lot more sense. 

0 Likes
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

so did you ever get it resolved?

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

Yes and no.  I refused to do a hard reset and it seemed kind of unnecessary to remove apps until it went away (to be honest with you, I only use a small number of apps and if it's a result of one of the main apps I use, uninstalling them is kind of a non option).  I just started using a task manager and killing all apps.  I know it's a bad solution but something on my phone is causing the phone start dragging and the battery to drain pretty fast.  This provides me a work around.  I'm going to "release my phone into the wild" sometime in the near future anyway.  I'm hoping that will fix my problems. 

0 Likes