Re: Anyone receive the gingerbread (2.3) OTA update yet?
Griever_2112

Well given that Verizon HAS up the PDF for the system update, plus the screen capture of the Charge getting the update, so they obviously have knowledge of it. This is not a cloak and dagger update where they are going to give us ICS as a test group, it's freakin Gingerbread. As for this cued release getting mentioned, unless they are completely botching this, and literally releasing 1,000 uploads (let's say an hour) at a time... this update will take days to complete. It should be 1,000 every half hour since it take approx 17-18 minutes according to the PDF, and it should be 1,000 per network area.

0 Likes
Wind

I swear, they are doing this so I buy the RAZR

0 Likes
Nebular_Novice
Contributor - Level 1

bpuleo wrote:

" I will NEVER, EVER, EVER by a Samsung Phone again, every single one has given me problems. I'm sticking to Moto or LG from now on." 

I second that! I'm right there with you and proabably most other Charge owners at this point as well.

Fortunately I think you guys are a distinct minority.  It's more than a bit over the top to get that annoyed about a day or two.  (Now if you want to get annoyed about several months, ...)

By the way, I don't know about Moto, but I have stories to tell about LG's lies and incompetence concerning an LG I had.  Fortunately Verizon  came through by essentially allowing me a "return" on that phone well past the return period.

0 Likes
DLuv

Why wouldn't an older phone get the update 1st? Makes sence to me. I bet the Droid 2 owners would be mad if the Charge got updated first. Its just a phone people.

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

2 friends todl me they got the OTA, randomly popped up i nthe menu bar at the top. One of them said it updated fairly fast, the other said he swore it locked up but it eventually started goign across with the bar, but he is a drama queen anyway.

That's why I do manualy updated via SD. in case the network drops. THen it will reboot to the reg os and retry. But never know if a glitch gets in.

0 Likes
AndrewDM

The Verizon rep did not deny that it was out there, she said it was dated 11/23 (per my earlier post) she didn't know if it was out there and thought my phone should have it and tried to have me manually download the update and as we know it isn't so she passed me to tier 2 who told me that they don't have the update and that it's Samsung's who pass it OTA to the Charge through their network and that they provide the "shipping" method for Samsung to get it to the customer. He said that what happens is that the build is provided to Verizon they approve it and tell Samsung what bloatware to include, it gets approved and pushed OTA from Samsung to the customer through Verizon's network and they are given a window by Samsung as to when they start pushing it out. In this case the window started on 11/23. He also said that if it hadn't been received then Samsung hadn't started pushing it and that they could do it at any time after 11/23 but not before. Hope that clarifies what was said.

0 Likes
Wind

Neb its been a year when you think about it and its been several months since this phone came out.

Despite the delay on receiving an upgrade to GB, poor battery life, etc. are some of the many reasons why myself and others will not purchase another Samsung phone. That and the fact this is not the first time Samsung devices are in the dark while older and newer phones receive updates as such.

0 Likes
DLuv

I bet most Charge owners don't know about the update and are contempt with their phone. Only a handful  of people seem to be clamering about this update.

0 Likes
Griever_2112

I just got off the phone with Verizon Support.  My first support lady had no clue what i was talking about.

Second one did confirm that Samsung has a build of 2.3 out (no duh) but that and i quote "Verizon has NO OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE FOR THE GINGERBREAD UPDATE FOR THE CHARGE"

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

PS they are in NJ.

You know what will happen, everyone who wants it, follows the forum, won't get it till later, and people who could careless will get it (meaning my dad should soon-as long as the phone can call for pizza he is happy).

0 Likes