April Update causes "gui exception error Wifi"
DIYGuy88

Ever since the latest upgrade on our Droid Bionic we are encountering a random error message which states "gui exception error ... wifi".

How can this be resolved?... we've powered the phone off and on, check for a software update all to no avail.

0 Likes
Re: April Update causes "gui exception error Wifi"
Not applicable

Graphic User Interface problem with wifi. Did you turn off your modem, router, & cell phone and let each cycle back up?

If not try turning all of them off for a few minutes then turn on the modem first and cycle up fully, then the router and let it cycle up completely and last turn on the cell phone and let it power up fully.

You then check and make sure wifi is on in your cell, if it is let it search for your network and then enter your network password. you should be connected ok.

Another thing that may work for a GUI error is a soft reset to the phone.

Good Luck

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was just reading about this on the Motorola forum.  All of your suggestions were tried by users, along with a system cache clear, factory reset, and clearing the data from Backup Assistant.  Some also tried forgetting the wi-fi connection and re-establishing.  Some 'fixes' worked, sometimes not.  Most are reporting that the error is random.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Did you figure out another solution? I did not go to motorola but that is what I would have tried to fix the problem. The original poster never returned to say if it work. Many here never do. It would help if they said what does and doesn't work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@DIYguy88,

I appreciate you bringing this to the attention of the forum. There have been some fantastic suggestions provided thus far. Does this occur with a specific network? As suggested please power down the modem as well if it's with a specific network.

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tahdmc

I have been getting the same wifi errors on 2 Bionic phones on my account since the update.  Also, sometimes it says "avoiding temporary bad connection", which the connection is completely perfect.  Eventually it always logs in but it is a hassle to wait. 

All the suggestions made above have been tried with no success the problem is in the software update, so we need a fix to that update. 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

tahdmc wrote:

Also, sometimes it says "avoiding temporary bad connection", which the connection is completely perfect. 

Try Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced, then uncheck Avoid Poor Connection

0 Likes
tahdmc

Thank you I will uncheck the avoid poor connection. 

But the problem never happened prior to the update, and the connections are not poor.  When I first get in Wifi area it may connect but I get no bars, just a dot and within 10 minutes I have full connection. 

0 Likes
tahdmc

None of the suggestions have worked.  The issue is from the update, how do we get a fix from the update? It has nothing to do with this particular phone or the wireless networks I use. 

0 Likes
auntimes3

I have been getting the same error notice on my droid bionic. Also, it has become very slow.  I tried all of the above and also a factory reset without success,  HELP!   Very annoying, thinking of changing carriers as Verizon is not much help.

0 Likes