BMW - Samsung Charge Bluetooth Connection Problem
Doc_T

I was about to return my charge as it was not uploading the phone book and dropping the Bluetooth connection to my 2011 BMW 335Is.  I then stumbled upon a partial fix.

Fix for this is counterintuitive. When you start your phone or restart Bluetooth go to Settings>Applications>Running Services. Look for the Service "BluetoothPbapService"  tap it, then hit stop. This removes it from the list. The phone pairs and uploads the phone book without problems until you either stop and restart Bluetooth or turn your phone off. You then need to repeat the process.  I am looking for a developer who can automate this process with an app without rooting the phone. Hope this helps others with same problem and that Verizon asks Samsung to fix this with the next software update.

0 Likes
Re: BMW - Samsung Charge Bluetooth Connection Problem
marlin43

Good job finding a workaround......however I think it is ludicrus to go to this much trouble getting the bluetooth to work propely.  I am very dissapointed with this bluetooth problem and the outrageously quick battery drain on the Droid Charge. Going back to my Iphone

0 Likes
marl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same problem with 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited. Droid x worked fine for 5 months and Droid Charge is a nightmare, no phone book and Bluetooth will only hold a connection when I pull battery and reset phone???  This is wonderful for a 4g phone???  Verizon referred me to Samsung. No fix at this time.....Samsung wants me TO send My $300 phone to them for 12 business days so they can dissect it and find out what is wrong with it. I don't know what I am supposed to do for a Phone??? Don't buy Samsung They don't know how to fix it. Unless you want your phone to go to them for 12 days.. VERY SIMPLE DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG!!!! and stay away from Verizon also they don't support their phone either. Because of Samsung Lousy attitude, the Droid Charge is going back for a full refund and I am going back to Motorola or Apple. They seem to stand behind their product unlike Samsung. Very Very poor technical assistance from Samsung and Verizon you should stand behind the products you sell!!! Shame on both of you...

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

In the car industry it is hard for every car to support every phone or Bluetooth profile that the phone manufacture wants to support. When the OG droid came out I got a lot of complaints about customers brand new phone not being able to pair to their car. I would have to say sorry but some phones are not supported. It doesn't matter if it's a free phone, feature phone, or smartphone some just don't work. I hate to say it but you have to choose between your car or your phone. The vehicle manufacture will do their own research as to what phones are compatible but it can take a while before they get the latest phones tested. Really the only thing you can do is confirm with the automobile manufacture or their Bluetooth / hands free link provider what Bluetooth profile the vehicle supports and make sure your new phone supports the same. I have confirmed that my Charge Bluetooth works with some Acura products but not all. When it does work it works good but when it doesn't it is obvious. I am curious have either of you confirmed that your vehicles Bluetooth supports the Bluetooth 3.0 that the Droid Charge operates on? 

0 Likes
marl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply Green Robot, I have a 2011 Hyndai Elantra Limited and I will try and find what version bluetooth is in it. Your answer certainly makes alot more sense then what Samsung tech support had to say. Like I said, Droid X was flawless and the Charge very spotty. It seems strange that I have to dump the Charge because of this.  But thanks for the info!!!

0 Likes
MaxBuck
Contributor - Level 1

marl wrote:

VERY SIMPLE DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG!!!! 

It's not this simple at all.  Bluetooth pairing is problematic regardless of the devices, and I don't really fully understand why.  But I've had pairing issues with products from Samsung, Motorola, Fujitsu, and BlackBerry (RIM), so it's not as simple as avoiding one or more manufacturers.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

marl wrote:

Thanks for the reply Green Robot, I have a 2011 Hyndai Elantra Limited and I will try and find what version bluetooth is in it. Your answer certainly makes alot more sense then what Samsung tech support had to say. Like I said, Droid X was flawless and the Charge very spotty. It seems strange that I have to dump the Charge because of this.  But thanks for the info!!!

My DX and Thunderbolt where compatibe with almost everything that a I paired them to but the Charge is not that consistant. Unfortunatly... I gotta say it happens a lot where a customer can't pair their phone to the car but other phones work fine so I tell them they have to choose to keep the phone or the car. Most just go back for a different phone or don't use the Bluetooth. 

0 Likes
TrickyDick

I got my new Samsung Droid Charge to pair with 2- 2011 BMW's... a 328I convert and an X3. No problems...no hassle...phone book moves...phone works great. ONE PROBLEM.... when you power off the phone, you have to do it all over again. Instant fix...I don't power off the phone...I leave it on a charge when not on battery. Nuts? Yes...but it works! I await a fix in updated software from Samsung and or BMW (good luck on the latter!

0 Likes
goWSUcougs

Thanks for the fix.  I went from an iPhone4 to a Droid Charge and I love the phone, but have been having problems with consistent Bluetooth connections when getting in my Toyota Prius.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.  I did what you suggested and it works all the time now, so long as I don't turn my phone off ... but if I do, I just repeat your fix and it's all good again.

Not sure what the problem is, but either my car or the phone needs an update to make them play well together.

0 Likes
dhaloulos

I had the same problem.  went to the Verizon store and one of the techs pointed out that 2 of my apps (JuiceDefender & lightbox) might be effecting my bluetooth.  uninstalled them, deleted the phone in my car.  reinstalled the phone to my car & now I'm good to go.

0 Likes