Backup Assistant; Invalid service state
PRLink
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Android has not been able to sync contacts since July 29th giving the error Invalid service state.  Online backup assistant is current, there are no listed contacts in my phone through typical app.  All contacts are available by searching through the phone app.  At or around that time The phone had a very low battery and when recharged had lost all of its screen memory, No background, no HTC Desk Clock widget, no apps on any screen.  All features of the phone function with the exception of Backup Assistant and Desk Clock Widget.  Android 2.2 Software Number 3.26.605.1 Harware Version 0003.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
Re: Backup Assistant; Invalid service state
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PRLink, I rely on my contacts all the time so I know how important it is for them to be backed up. Let’s face it no one memorizes numbers anymore. But don’t worry because I’m here to help!

I researched this and did not find it to be a known reported issue. It may be a third party app causing the issue. I recommend you run the phone in safe mode http://bit.ly/p5eed2 and see if the issues stop. If everything works properly while in safe mode then you will need to uninstall all 3rd party apps and reinstall them one at a time to determine the causing the problem.

If issue persists while in safe mode try uninstalling and reinstalling the Backup Assistance app and delete the Clock Widget.

Keep me posted if you need further assistance.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Backup Assistant; Invalid service state
PRLink
Enthusiast - Level 1

John,

Thanks.  Unfortunately nothing worked.  Safe mode was a complete bust.  I have yet to be able to upgrade System Software and in Safe Mode today I received the same error.  (When I hold down the power button I get the original menu which includes Silence Mode/Airplane Mode/Vibration Mode/Mobile Network, no restart.  I was able to get into Safe Mode). 

There is  NO backup assistant app it is found under "Accounts ans Sync" through Menu>Settings from the home screen. 

The issue is not that I need to delete the clock widget it is that it has been removed.

Paul

0 Likes